Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Need Big Help Here!

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Need Big Help Here!

    Ok....was trying to not let this program get the better of me, but am about to ban this most annoying program from my computer and use the two hundred seventy something page manual for a doorstop.

    Which program can make a fairly sane individual want to leap off a tall building, or go beserk in any number of other ways?

    DAZ 3D STUDIO!!!!!

    Has anyone out there used this most confusing, (at least to me), of programs?

    I think it was assembled, like a camel, by a committee. No files are in any order. Seems everyone just makes up their own system of file location and goes from there. Almost impossible to tell which accessories go with which model etc.

    I may be a bit dense, but have worked with this program for about a month and have yet to get a decent model to use, (Iwas hoping), in PSP for a painting.

    Can anyone help? Is anyone familiar with this program? Does anyone care? If not I can't blame them

    Anyway thanks for my time to rant a bit.

    Steve

  • #2
    I bought Bryce, which comes with this software. I'd tend to agree with you on all points. It's essentially a tool to get you to buy their models. I've bought some of their models, but won't go near 3D Studio.

    You're probably already there, but I'd suggest renderosity.com for all things 3D.

    The entire 3D marketplace is not nearly as warm and fuzzy as the 2D market. With absolutely no outside corroboration I've taken to assuming it's due to the different brain wiring necessary to be comfortable with 3D modeling.

    As for painting 3D models, take a look at this:
    http://www.righthemisphere.com/products/dp3d/
    Learn by teaching
    Take responsibility for learning

    Comment


    • #3
      Certainly relieved to know that I am not alone in my frustration with Daz. Even as a freebie it ain't worth it.

      Everyone who tried to answer my questions re. Daz approached things in a different way. I must have five or six tutorials all of which take you in a different direction.

      As for Bryce, probably a bit involved for me. I have no trouble posing models and fitting them to a scene, but it looks like you build everything from scratch in Bryce. That's gets a bit out of my field of expertise.

      Thanks for your info.

      Steve


      Originally posted by Doug Nelson
      I bought Bryce, which comes with this software. I'd tend to agree with you on all points. It's essentially a tool to get you to buy their models. I've bought some of their models, but won't go near 3D Studio.

      You're probably already there, but I'd suggest renderosity.com for all things 3D.

      The entire 3D marketplace is not nearly as warm and fuzzy as the 2D market. With absolutely no outside corroboration I've taken to assuming it's due to the different brain wiring necessary to be comfortable with 3D modeling.

      As for painting 3D models, take a look at this:
      http://www.righthemisphere.com/products/dp3d/

      Comment


      • #4
        I tried using DAZ Studio but my video card had some issues with it.
        What I did manage to see didn't impress me much so I stayed with Poser.

        Poser in not perfect, but for posing scenes with 3-D models it is pretty much the standard - which, by itself, is a good reason to use it.
        Like Excel (R) and Word (R) etc., they may not be the best possible app., but everybody knows their way around them.

        Comment


        • #5
          Have given some thought to Poser, but have heard that Daz is a sort of simplified Poser. Hence more beginner-friendly. If poser is more complicated than Daz, I would be in big trouble with it. 8-)

          Was looking for a good beginner program to learn on when I got Daz. How steep is the learning curve on Poser?

          This stuff is supposed to be fun, and Daz is not.

          Steve



          Originally posted by byRo
          I tried using DAZ Studio but my video card had some issues with it.
          What I did manage to see didn't impress me much so I stayed with Poser.

          Poser in not perfect, but for posing scenes with 3-D models it is pretty much the standard - which, by itself, is a good reason to use it.
          Like Excel (R) and Word (R) etc., they may not be the best possible app., but everybody knows their way around them.

          Comment


          • #6
            I didn't get far enough with DAZ to be able to compare them properly.
            It did seem that DAZ tried to organize things a bit more - like using tree structures.
            Poser is not at all easy stuff for beginners but, like I said, being mainstream, you can find good tutorials all over the Web.


            P.S. You need a big fast machine, otherwise nothing 3D is going to be fun!

            Comment


            • #7
              Poser is much easier than Daz Studio (not that it's in any way simple). It also has one of the best 3D rendering engines available, though it's limited to rendering small spaces. Some people use it for non-figure work for that reason.
              Learn by teaching
              Take responsibility for learning

              Comment


              • #8
                Organization seems to me to be one of Daz's problems. It will place downloaded files in the strangest places. For example. I loaded hair samples in my V3 folder and it comes up under Vicky "poses." And is not listed as hair, but under the name of the company that made it. So you have to search for everything. I only have a few accessories for one model as of now. I can imagine the problem when it's several models and multiple outfits for each.

                I'll probably just opt to keep looking. Am pretty happy with 2d and not in a big hurry to add this unless it can add to the enjoyment of photo art. Not thus far.

                I thank you again for your help.

                Steve


                Originally posted by byRo
                I didn't get far enough with DAZ to be able to compare them properly.
                It did seem that DAZ tried to organize things a bit more - like using tree structures.
                Poser is not at all easy stuff for beginners but, like I said, being mainstream, you can find good tutorials all over the Web.


                P.S. You need a big fast machine, otherwise nothing 3D is going to be fun!

                Comment


                • #9
                  Check out the Digital Element 3D plugins for Photoshop. I have their Aurora, it adds some incredible water and skies to 2D photos (search here for Aurora, I posted some).

                  http://www.digi-element.com/index.htm
                  Learn by teaching
                  Take responsibility for learning

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by Steve Conway
                    .... but under the name of the company that made it.
                    Like Doug said....
                    Originally posted by Doug Nelson
                    The entire 3D marketplace is not nearly as warm and fuzzy as the 2D market.
                    (bolding mine)

                    3D stuff ain't easy to make and the folks who do the models want some return. Very little (good) stuff is free and 3D world is exactly that - a marketplace.
                    For example, one of Poser's main tabs leads you directly to a commercial 3D site.

                    So that's why things are organized by "merchant" and not by their function.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Yes, it's a commercial world we live it. Sure makes it tough on us sometimes though.

                      Thanks for all the good input on this. As I said to begin with, I was just trying to get my feet wet in 3d since it was a freebie program. And that's about what it's worth unfortunately.

                      Steve



                      Originally posted by byRo
                      Like Doug said....
                      (bolding mine)

                      3D stuff ain't easy to make and the folks who do the models want some return. Very little (good) stuff is free and 3D world is exactly that - a marketplace.
                      For example, one of Poser's main tabs leads you directly to a commercial 3D site.

                      So that's why things are organized by "merchant" and not by their function.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        I have been using Terragen some and have had pretty good results with it for BG stuff. Wish there was a Photoshop-type plugin that would allow some working with 3d models. The kind of models that are found in Poser and Daz. Guess I'm dreaming.

                        I think Aurora is for Photoshop only. I don't have PS. Been happy with PSP since version 6, and just keep adding things to it.

                        Appreciate the help.

                        Steve

                        Originally posted by Doug Nelson
                        Check out the Digital Element 3D plugins for Photoshop. I have their Aurora, it adds some incredible water and skies to 2D photos (search here for Aurora, I posted some).

                        http://www.digi-element.com/index.htm

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          PSP can use PS filters, no? Take a look at their ModelShop.
                          Learn by teaching
                          Take responsibility for learning

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Yes, PSP uses Photoshop 8BF filters. But not familiar with PSP's model shop. What's the deal on this? Is it a Corel thing?

                            Steve

                            Originally posted by Doug Nelson
                            PSP can use PS filters, no? Take a look at their ModelShop.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Modelshop is from Digital Elements (see link above)
                              Learn by teaching
                              Take responsibility for learning

                              Comment

                              Related Topics

                              Collapse

                              • Doug Nelson
                                Review: Strata 3D CX 5
                                by Doug Nelson
                                http://www.strata.com/strata3d.asp

                                I first got interested in Strata when I noticed their claim about tight Photoshop and Illustrator integration. The interface does have a superficial similarity to (pre-CS3) Photoshop. And Strata will export layers in PSD format. And you can edit texturemaps...
                                02-22-2007, 06:15 PM
                              • Doug Nelson
                                3D Navigation
                                by Doug Nelson
                                It seems like no matter what 3D software I'm using, even Photoshop, I can't navigate worth spit. Am I just stupid, old, or am I missing some crucial bit of information?

                                Everything always starts out promising. I move an object up and down and rotate it. Then I do the same with the camera....
                                05-11-2015, 08:10 AM
                              • kav
                                learning maya and basic modeling/rendering
                                by kav
                                Does anyone know of a good place to take classes or a good program preferably in the Los Angeles area for learning maya and some basic modeling/lighting/rendering? It's something I've wanted to explore for a while, and it's a large enough program to where I feel it would help to be able to ask questions...
                                08-11-2011, 08:49 PM
                              • bodegg
                                3D animation help
                                by bodegg
                                A friend has asked me if I can create a 3D animation which comprises a sphere (a globe probably) with writing going round it at an angle. I did a bit of googling and the best example of what I mean is the "World is Yours" statue from Scarface. I think it's a bit beyond my talents but what...
                                06-21-2008, 08:27 AM
                              • Doug Nelson
                                [Review] Strata Design 3D[in]
                                by Doug Nelson
                                Some time back I reviewed Strata 3D CX, a comprehensive 3D design app. I was frankly underwhelmed with the app, but impressed with its output. Now Strata is the first company to come out with a rendering plugin for Photoshop CS3 Extended. I say the first, because more are sure to follow (Lightwave have...
                                10-17-2007, 01:06 PM
                              Working...
                              X