Fake MS Security Email

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fake MS Security Email

I just got an email from Microsoft claiming to have a vital security update for Internet Explorer. Knowing this was not typical for them, I checked the header and learned that it was in fact from someone with an obscene username in Australia.

Microsoft does NOT email security updates. If you ever get something like this, delete it immediately!
    Learn by teaching
    Take responsibility for learning

Thanks for the heads up. Why, though, does my junk e-mail usually consist of specials on used scanning electron microscopes or pre owned gene sequencers? Everybody else gets the interesting stuff....Tom

Comment

I got a similar email today with an attachment that turned out to be a virus. [email protected] was the virus Norton detected

Comment

That's good to know about Doug. Thanks for posting.

Ed

Comment

Security warnings may be legit...

MSFT issues security warnings IF you're subscribed... Here's an excerpt. If you're NOT subscribed, I'd be suspicious.
          xxxxxx
          To: [email protected]
          Subject: Microsoft Security Bulletin MS02-015
          Date: Thu, 28 Mar 2002 15:47:03 -0800

Title: 28 March 2002 Cumulative Patch for Internet Explorer
          Date: 28 March 2002
          Software: Internet Explorer
          Impact: Two vulnerabilities, the most serious of which
          would allow script to run in the Local Computer Zone.
          Max Risk: Critical
          Bulletin: MS02-015

Microsoft encourages customers to review the Security Bulletin at: http://www.microsoft.com/technet/sec...n/MS02-015.asp

ISSUE: This is a cumulative patch that includes the functionality of all previously released patches for IE 5.01, 5.5 and IE 6. In addition, it eliminates the following two newly discovered vulnerabilities:
          xxxxxxx

Comment

Danny,
            Thanks for posting that. I have been getting those and when this warning came out I was confused. I will definately be careful when I get messages from Microsoft.
            DJ

Comment

Tom queries -- "Why, though, does my junk e-mail usually consist of specials on used scanning electron microscopes or pre owned gene sequencers? "

The rest of us have our spam eliminators set specifically to delete all messages containing the words "scanning electron microscopes" and "gene sequencers"

Comment

Working...
              X