Photoshop and gimp

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Photoshop and gimp

Can Photoshop and gimp exist on the hardrive with out problems?
    My sister wants to learn Photoshop but does not have the funds for the program. So I thought I would check it out for her, but not if it will cause problems with my CS3 extended.

And what is Gimpshop, is it the same as Gimp?

Re: Photoshop and gimp

hi,
    my opinion there should be no problem with the two on the same computer... I have about three paint programs including ps cs.. and they don't cause any problems...

gimp and gimpshop the same.. the only major difference is that gimpshop has the looks and feel of photoshop... ie: the naming of the tools and features very similar... this does make it easier to use the various photoshop tutorials... with gimpshop..

Originally posted by keiser View Post
    Can Photoshop and gimp exist on the hardrive with out problems?
    My sister wants to learn Photoshop but does not have the funds for the program. So I thought I would check it out for her, but not if it will cause problems with my CS3 extended.

And what is Gimpshop, is it the same as Gimp?

Comment

Yes they can. I use mainly GIMP but also CS2. I'm just more savvy with GIMP, and it does take a lot less resources. I just received my Christmas Present though (brother got me a barebones with a good NVidia card and 2GBytes of RAM, so I have to get the OS installed on this baby and then maybe will give CS2 more time, but still GIMP is extremely powerful and more then meets my needs for things that I like to do {in conjunction with Irfanview for those Photoshop compatible filters that don't work right in the GIMP}).

Comment

Thanks for the information. I will give it a try and then I can get my sister started with the basics from there.

Comment

What's also nice about GIMP is that it supports layered files, and your layered work can be sent between Photoshop and GIMP. ie, if you're a student and use PS at school and GIMP at home, you can remain productive at all times.

Of course you may run into some compatibility issues with unique CS3 layer options, but I need to check that again.

Comment