X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • denschneider
    • Sep 2002

what are your experiences with vista

I am wondering what everyones experiences with vista has been?. I bought a new computer 3 weeks ago that came with vista home premium pre loaded, I was a little unsure ab out the os after reading almost entirely negative comments. I was worried about finding drivers for my old scanner(epson2400) and old wacom tablet(over 5 years).
    After a quick web search I found drivers for both, the only problem I had was getting photoshop to registar properly. that took a bit of time to resolve,but I evetually found a solution to the problem on the adobe web site.
    All in all my vista experience has been so positve that I will be upgrading my laptop after christmas. Am I the exception to the rule?
  • palms
    • Mar 2005

Re: what are your experiences with vista

Like you we bought a new pc with vista home edition already installed and was worried about drivers, software loading etc but had no trouble with any, the hardest was my printer ( which was new as well ! ! ! ! ! )
    Having missed out completely on xp, the interface was a bit strange but it didnt hold us back
    I am having a few problems now but not sure that i can blame that on vista ( which a lot of people seem to for everything) but it has only appeared after about 14 or so months of daily use.

Palms

Comment

• Damo77
      • Jul 2007

My only problem has been the ubiquitous losing-the-monitor-profile issue. Once I disabled the video card stuff in Startup, the monitor calibration holds ok on startup. But if my laptop goes to sleep, it still loses the profile on wakeup. I use Xrite's DisplayProfile app to overcome this problem, but like everyone else, I'm waiting eagerly for Microsoft to issue an update that fixes it.

Comment

• L33t
        • Oct 2008

My problem involved in programs, some program work less good or doesn't work on Vista even that should work on vista.

Selecting lots of files take long time to load.
        Annoying UAC even if you can disable you still get that annoying message at the buttom.

There's many stuff that's suck in Vista and many good been there, done that. Using Vista Ultimate 64 and 34.. I stick to XP SP2 for a while. It' still functional

Comment

• bazza64
          • May 2008

Hi denschneider,
          Make sure your laptop has a minimum of 1gb of ram, preferably 2-4gb before you update, anything less it will run slower than with XP, Vista is a very resource hungry OS. Also check to see if all the software you have installed is Vista compatable.
          Regards,
          Barry.

Comment

• pixel_monkey
            • Jun 2007

No, you're not. There's not exception to the rule to begin with. Vista just doesn't like old hardware...it's probably how MS tries to tell PC users to keep up with the technology. If your somewhat outdated PC is running XP and you're happy with it, then stick with XP. If you're buying or building a new PC, then I don't see any reason why you don't want to move to Vista. Vista used to have issues when it first came out, but it's been very stable and runs faster ever since the release of SP1.
            I just built my PC last month running Vista Ultimate 64bit (Vista shouldn't have even been released in 32bit with today's hardware) and I've had zero problem with programs and drivers. I got 2 BSOD's in the beginning, but they had nothing to do with the OS. One was the older version BIOS of the motherboard that's known to cause problem. The other one was the memory running at incorrect timing and incorrect voltage. After I flashed the motherboard to the latest BIOS and set the correct timing and voltage for the memory, my system has been running rock solid. I also overclocked my system and it passed a 36 hours torture test with Prime95. Everything is running noticeably faster in Vista. I get at least 10 FPS more in my DX10 games and get to experience DX10 in all of its glory. Photoshop loads in 3 seconds...probably less if UAC didn't pop up. My 2 gigs tiff files open almost instantly comparing to XP. I've been a long time XP user and now I don't look back after upgrading to Vista...just like I didn't look back to Window NT when I upgraded to XP and Window 98 before that.

Comment

• Craig Walters
              • Apr 2005

now what did i tell you folks about buying first version software? you NEVER buy first version software, especially Microsoft first version software! lol. sorry, but having fought with quite a few versions of 'windows', i really cant apologize for slamming M$ products just a bit now and then

Comment

• gmitchel
                • Apr 2004

I have had no problems with Vista Ultimate at all.

Mitch

Comment

• rogleale
                  • Dec 2002

Originally posted by Damo77 View Post
                  My only problem has been the ubiquitous losing-the-monitor-profile issue. Once I disabled the video card stuff in Startup, the monitor calibration holds ok on startup. But if my laptop goes to sleep, it still loses the profile on wakeup. I use Xrite's DisplayProfile app to overcome this problem, but like everyone else, I'm waiting eagerly for Microsoft to issue an update that fixes it.
                  Hi Damo,

You shouldn't be losing the profile like that. It is possible to make any profile the default in Vista, but you actually have to do it yourself, and it is not widely known I think! In vista to make sure that your Xrites profile is being kept as default go to:
                  C>Windows>System32 and scroll miles down to Colorcpl and double click it. The color management panel will open and you may see the heading for the 'Devices' tab is "Display - Generic PnP Monitor" with your graphic card details.
                  If you tick the box 'Use my settings for this device' then click on your Xrites monitor profile, and then on the 'Set as default profile' button your problem should be resolved.
                  If you already knew all that I apologise, but I have talked to several people who didn't.

Roger

Comment

• samel
                    • Mar 2006

adobe bridge doesnt run under vista air, turnig off vista air made painting,cloning etc. lag something fierce in ps. copying or moving files usually resulted in an alert-box saying "preparing to copy" which would in 9 times of 10 end in the comp freezing up requiring a reboot. i regret the day i heard about vista.. suckiest os ever. (anyone want to buy a copy of vista ultimate 32-bit

Comment

• rogleale
                      • Dec 2002

Originally posted by samel View Post
                      adobe bridge doesnt run under vista air, turnig off vista air made painting,cloning etc. lag something fierce in ps. copying or moving files usually resulted in an alert-box saying "preparing to copy" which would in 9 times of 10 end in the comp freezing up requiring a reboot. i regret the day i heard about vista.. suckiest os ever. (anyone want to buy a copy of vista ultimate 32-bit
                      Hi Samel,

I think that you should look to your hardware rather than join the knock Vista mob! I have been running Vista Home Premium since the first RC and have not had a single BSOD. PS CS3 and now CS4 run fast and Bridge is now a rapid, and reliable browser, both on my laptop and my desktop.

Roger

Comment

• samel
                        • Mar 2006

do a search for "vista copy slow" on google, i rest my case.

regarding the bridge with air incompatibility/clone,brush lag. i'm on a quadro 350 card. a cheap pro-card but still more than enough for everyday use. turning off the openGL-acceleration didnt make any change.
                        (other specs: 4gb ram, dual opteron, 2x10000rpm raptors for scratch)

i'm back to xp-pro and i havent had a crash for several months.

Comment

• rogleale
                          • Dec 2002

If you googled it why didn't you apply the RDC fix? Easier to whinge?

Comment

• samel
                            • Mar 2006

the RDC fix seems to work for some and not for others.
                            it did not work for me.. there are a number of hotfixes out
                            and the topic has been debated endlessly on various forums.
                            i'm sure i could have resolved the issue had i given it some more time
                            but as it was, i didnt have the time and i needed something that would run stable. ie. xp-pro, or a mac for that matter.
                            i dont think i'm whingeing if i dont want to have to spend days scouring the internet for a fix to make my os handle something so rudimentary as
                            copy/paste/delete.

Comment

• Damo77
                              • Jul 2007

Originally posted by rogleale View Post
                              In vista to make sure that your Xrites profile is being kept as default go to:
                              C>Windows>System32 and scroll miles down to Colorcpl and double click it. The color management panel will open and you may see the heading for the 'Devices' tab is "Display - Generic PnP Monitor" with your graphic card details.
                              If you tick the box 'Use my settings for this device' then click on your Xrites monitor profile, and then on the 'Set as default profile' button your problem should be resolved.
                              Hi Roger, nope, everything is already set just as you describe, yet the problem exists. Any other ideas?

Comment