Adobe Gamma question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Adobe Gamma question

Reading Ian Lyon's article 'Colour Management and Adobe Photoshop 7'. I came on page 13 to this statement: 'if monitor RGB is showing something other than the profile you created when calibrating the monitor it is essential that you investigate the reason...'

How can I be sure of what profile Photoshop is using?
    I try to refine my Gamma procedure, so I save different settings...i.e 'PT775B0120802', indicating brightness level and date...
    however the only name I can see in 'monitor RGB' is always 'PT775', not the full name I give them, so I have no clue. Since there are other profiles with long names, I assume that is not the problem...

What platform and OS version is in use?

On Mac go the the system folder/colorsync files folder or on PC the windows/system/color (or what it is known on your version).

Delete all the old monitor profiles and only have the current one there.

In theory you would build up a lot of old useless monitor profiles if you did not do any housekeeping - since the monitor is usually calibrated regulary (for me at least once a week).

Alternativly do not use a date but a more generic name and overwrite this file with each new calibration.

Hope this helps,

Stephen Marsh.

Comment

Thank you.
      I'm using PC, Windows ME.
      Your idea should ensure that the last profile is used, I think...I'll try.
      However I think the profile should have the name I give it...and PS should load a current version!

Comment

Well, I finally sorted this out.

Windows and Photoshop actually knew my latest color profile, but the name was incorrect in PS because I had misinterpreted the second Adobe Gamma panel, after selecting Wizard.

This second panel refers to two different things:

on the upper side, you give a name to the profile you are going to develop.

on the lower side, it says ´this profile....' and refers to the starting point you should load in the first place.

Well...sorry but it was confusing to me.

The good news is that I can maintain the naming convention including date.

Thanks, Stephen.

Comment

Hi Efivern, glad you got things sorted out.

Here is a link to a good article with a great calibration image to download to use to aid in using Adobe Gamma. View this image from a web browser (with any colour management turned off in the web browser if it has it, like on MSIE on Mac) and not Photoshop as you calibrate/profile with Adobe Gamma.

http://www.normankoren.com/makingfin....html#Blacklvl

Regards,

Stephen Marsh.

Comment

Thank you for the link, Stephen.
            I always suspected that something dreadful was waiting behind the innocence of Adobe Gamma...'make the inner square bare visible while retaining a bright white'!
            Well, it seems there's nothing good and simple in life, at least in digital life!
            Cheers,
            Enrique F. Ivern

Comment

Stephen,
              Thank you for that link! I hadn't gotten there yet in my travels (and travails) trying to get my monitor working. There is a lot of really important information on monitor calibration that was missing in other articles/tutorials I've read over the past few days.

Efirven,
              I had trouble with Adobe Gamma's 'make the inner square bare visible while retaining a bright white' too! I just happened to have downloaded a demo of MonacoEZcolor and found their "eye-ball" calibration method to be much more accurate than Adobe Gamma. I haven't yet tried the more detailed info in the link Stephen provided, but I can't wait. (Someday soon I'm going to know more about this topic than I ever wanted to!)

Jeanie

Comment