E-Mail Screener

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• E-Mail Screener

If anyone is interested in a program which pre scans your e-mail, allowing you to "bounce" back unwanted items ( read: Spam or In Laws/relatives e-mails)..check out the link below for the free (contribution is requested by the author but not mandatory) program Mailwasher. Lots of info about it, what it does, how to use it etc.......Tom

http://www.mailwasher.net/index.php

There is also a new spam filter that works with the same idea as napster - one of the cofounders actually created this... it installs like a plugin for outlook and all the users can report spam by selecting the spam and clicking "block". It writes to a global database which is used to filter all users' email. Spam suspicious email will go directly to the "spam folder" the program writes in outlook. (At least this is how I understand it works) There is a little more to it and you can read the article at http://www.wired.com/wired/archive/1...tart.html?pg=9

Comment

This looks as though it could be very useful, TG. I went back to using PMail about 5 months back, and what I've found useful is being able to delete rubbish off the mail server before downloading. I think it depends on the volume of spam/rubbish which hits your mailbox though.

Are the ads invasive? Also nice of him not to include spyware (I'd still check it with Ad-aware though )

Comment

Not sure about the spyware. After installing Mailwasher and a couple of other utility programs, I ran Ad Aware and it found "Alexia" ( pretty common spyware routine) which promptly got sent to virtual Never-Never land....Tom

Comment

Related Topics

Collapse

• jeaniesa
          How much spam does your website generate?
          by jeaniesa
          Let me be a little more specific. The website for the non-profit organization I volunteer with has a simple hyperlink with our e-mail address (which then brings up a new message window using whatever the viewer's default mailer is.) The problem is that we get more junk mail on this address than "real"...
          01-14-2003, 11:29 AM
        • Jakaleena
          Spam, spam, spam, spam....
          by Jakaleena
          Love the Monty Python bit, hate the junk that shows up in my mailbox...

I've been having a lot of conversations with people about SPAM recently. It's gotten to be such an epidemic. I have a sort of "spam vendetta" going, and have a few things that I do to fight spam.
          06-09-2002, 09:44 AM
        • Jakaleena
          Fighting SPAM!
          by Jakaleena
          I've been having a lot of conversations with people about SPAM recently. It's gotten to be such an epidemic. We were discussing this in another thread, and I thought it was such a huge problem that it might possibly deserve its own spot.

I have a few things that I do to fight spam....
          05-19-2002, 01:35 PM
        • Doug Nelson
          Spam stats
          by Doug Nelson
          This just amazed me when I read it:

"Spam is now 70 percent of all email worldwide, and is expected to reach 90 percent by December. Almost all of it is created by about 180 people."

From Spamhaus, a watchdog group.
          02-04-2004, 09:00 AM
        • Doug Nelson
          Check your spam filter
          by Doug Nelson
          To make sure you get all registration emails for RetouchPRO LIVE, you might want to add "retouchpro.com" and "citrixonline.com" to your spam filter domain whitelist.

It seems our higher visibility since the launch has gotten us listed with some antispam blacklists....
          07-25-2009, 03:53 PM
        Working...
        X