No announcement yet.

Gradient applied to opacity possible??

  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Gradient applied to opacity possible??

    I am trying to apply a gradient to a layer so that the opacity of the layer is greatest in the middle and as you go out towards the edge of the layer the opacity decreases. Is this possible in photoshop? If so, how would you do it? Thanks! This really has me stumped.

  • #2
    Hi Jon,
    I would use a layer mask.
    A gradient can then be applied to that. You will have to "edit" your gradient tool to get the specific gradient you are looking for.

    Hope this helps......but if it doesn't, I know the rest of the group will jump in.


    • #3
      Jon, the Adobe Gradient Editors (Illustrator, Photoshop etc) are not very intuitive - but once you figure them out they are very good (I learned years ago in Illustrator, so I was lucky).

      I would load a basic gradient style and then edit that - say a transparent > xxx colour > transparent gradient. Or starting with a xxx colour > transparent gradient I would add the extra requied step. It can all be done via the gradient...

      But as suggested by Vikki, a solid layer with a black > white > black gradient layer mask would do the trick...but you still may have to mess around with grads - so if they are new to you then you still may have problems.

      To get you started with the gradient editor, I have uploaded (see attached zip) two simple v5.x .grd gradient files for you to load into the gradient tool editor to either use by changing the default black colour to your desired colour or by editing yourself further.

      Good luck and have fun,

      Stephen Marsh.
      Attached Files


      • #4

        Depending on your needs, you might be able to "spray on" a custom gradient via the layer mask method Vikki suggested.

        For the applicable layer:
        1. Click the Layer Mask icon at the bottom of the Layers palette to create the layer mask.
        2. If PS5.x or 6 select the Airbrush tool; if PS7, select the functional equivalent. Set pressure / flow / opacity [whatever the settings are] to very low values. You want the digital paint to come out "slowly" so you have control over gradual buildup.
        3. Set forground color to black.
        4. Choose a really large, soft edged brush.
        5. Start airbrushing on the areas of the image you want hidden.
        6. The longer you hold down your mouse (or press with tablet stylus), the denser the mask becomes -- just like holding down the button on a spray can.

        Inverse approach...
        1a. CTRL+I (to invert the layer mask; thumbnail goes black)
        3. Set forground color to white.
        5. Start airbrushing on the areas of the image you want revealed.

        You've now got option!

        Good luck & have fun...



        Related Topics


        • oxfordian32000
          Nonlinear gradients
          by oxfordian32000
          I have been introducting myself to gradients to help overlay textures from one layer to another. I use a radial gradient on a texture image, with a layer mask, to give contour to another image. The radial gradient starts from opaque at the center of the overlaid image, and goes to transparent at its...
          10-11-2004, 11:14 PM
        • nebgranny
          Helo with Gradient Mask
          by nebgranny
          Can some one post information on applying a gradient mask to a photo. I would like an explaination that would read easy for someone still new to using photoshop please.

          I think I remember Gary posting some information on this before but could not find it in a search .Thanks Neb :rai...
          06-09-2006, 12:13 PM
        • atholg
          Gradient maps
          by atholg
          I have been restoring images for OPR for some time. My efforts at replacing damaged color leave something to be desired, particularly when the area is high contrast and there have to be subtle hue and saturation variations to achieve a natural result.

          A search located http://www.reto...
          07-18-2010, 06:27 PM
        • jbruceb
          Fading a layer
          by jbruceb
          In PE2, or using Hidden Power tools, does anyone know how to smoothly dissolve part of a layer, like a gradient effect. so that the underlying layer shows through? If there were some way to use the standard gradient options, some interesting results might be achieved.
          11-01-2003, 08:58 AM
        • groovigyrl
          Gradient Map
          by groovigyrl
          Hi all,

          I'm experimenting with the gradient map and haven't been able to get too far with it. Argh. When I add the new adjustment layer for gradient map, my image switches to infrared (it looks like a film negative). It doesn't give me the box with the slide bar gradient that should automatically...
          10-14-2011, 07:57 PM