Photoshop Color Settings

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Photoshop Color Settings

Some books/videos about Color Management and Photoshop are telling that you should set sRGB in default color settings of your Photoshop working space (because then Photoshop can automatically assign sRGB profile to untagged images which is perefered). However, somebody is saying that in default PS color settings you shoud set a color profile you are using for editing your photos... but if I understand it cearly, that doesnt matter, right? Because when you open an image with particural color space, for example in ProPhoto, you are instantlly working in ProPhoto color space without regard to default working space, right?
    What default color settings do you have in PS?

Re: Photoshop Color Settings

Some books/videos about Color Management and Photoshop are telling that you should set sRGB in default color settings of your Photoshop working space (because then Photoshop can automatically assign sRGB profile to untagged images which is perefered).
    That isn’t correct. Untagged docs are untagged. Now if you set the color settings and the RGB working space for sRGB, that is what Photoshop assumes for the untagged doc. Whatever is set for the RGB (or CMYK) working space is what Photoshop assumes for an untagged document. But is the untagged document really in sRGB? Maybe, maybe not. Its a guessing game. Untagged docs are bad!

You should set the working space based on your preferred color space for editing although if the policies are set to Preserve, PS will honor whatever you feed it.

This may help:
    http://www.ppmag.com/reviews/200404_rodneycm.pdf

http://www.adobe.com/digitalimag/pdf...p_colspace.pdf

Comment

Re: Photoshop Color Settings

Thanks for explanation!

Comment

Related Topics

Collapse

• stopa
        Poll: Color Settings
        by stopa
        What are yours working space RGB color settings?
        sRGB IEC61966-2.1
        27.27%
        AdobeRGB (1998)
        50.00%
        AppleRGB
        0.00%
        ColorMatch RGB
        9.09%
        ProPhoto RGB (ROMM RGB)
        13.64%
        other
        0.00%
        11-15-2008, 02:33 AM
      • Mesca
        Help - Strange Message
        by Mesca
        I was going to attempt to try the new restoration. When I opened the picture that I had downloaded I got this message:
        The document "1christening.jpg" has an embedded color profile that does not match the current RGB working...
        08-17-2002, 11:19 PM
      • qpixo
        Which color profile to use?
        by qpixo
        I did a retouch example (test) and it was saved at TIF file, Profoto RGB profile, 16bits.

However when I selected Assign Profile in PS to my calibrated spyder pro 3 or sRGB, the color look awnful.

Usually I was always using sRGB (for two copies one for Web and other for print)....
        10-04-2010, 07:19 AM
      • Ron
        AIM color space - Gamma 1.00
        by Ron
        Color Space - Are you seeing the real picture?

If you visit some of my entries you will find I usually begin by opening my images into "AIM RGB = Trinitron D65 G1.00" color space. If you're curious about what this means I'll try to explain in general terms what this is all about....
        05-26-2002, 06:31 PM
      • benald
        photoshop profiles going wild
        by benald
        I have calibrated my monitor with Colorvision Spyder (Optical). Because of that, Adobe Gamma is de-installed. Until last week everything worked fine. My system was using Adobe RGB 1998 as it's working space.

Now all images being loaded into Photoshop or Photoshop Elements show a severe...
        12-29-2003, 04:51 AM
      Working...
      X