Need a "Previewer" for PSD and TIFF files

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need a "Previewer" for PSD and TIFF files

I am looking for something to make searches on my own PC easier. Can anyone recommend software that will preview quickly graphic file images (PSD and TIFF) without opening them, giving a large-size look similar to the Preview slide show feature that Windows offers when one highlights a list of JPG files? (Windows Thumbnails are too small for my purposes, and often will not show the contents of large size graphic files.) I am working in the dark ages of PhotoShop6. Thanks for any help.

Re: Need a "Previewer" for PSD and TIFF files

I generally use Adobe Bridge (or sometimes Lightroom) to preview files before I open in Photoshop or other Adobe software, but that may be out of the question unless you are willing to upgrade to the Creative Suite. I have also found that Bridge can run slow on older computers without a lot of memory. Lightroom is great software to have for processing photos quickly. You can preview image files and do some file organization within it.

I used to use Cantos Cumulus back in the day before they came out with Bridge. You might try Extensis Portfolio. I use Extensis Suitcase for font management and have found it to be pretty reliable software. I think either Portfolio or Cumulus will allow you to preview all kinds of image/movie/graphic/audio files and catalog their metadata so those options might work well for you. I've always been a Mac user so maybe others will have some good PC suggestions.

Comment

You can probably download trial versions of Cumulus or Portfolio and see how you like it.

Comment

I use Irfanview (free) using file>thumbnails.. also download the plugins/addons

IrfanView can also load Adobe Photoshop 8BF filters.

Irfanview seems to open almost every format there is

Comment

Hi Lucile,

I've tried various viewers and the fastest two I've found are FastStone Image Viewer (FSV) and FastPictureViewer (FPV) Both are free. I also have Irfanview

Whilst FPV is a bit faster it is quite basic and the interface a little clunky - folder navigation for example is poor.

FSV has a good interface, has a navigation tree, favorite folders, history and you can arrange to open images with various programs using shortcut keys e.g. I have the default as PS CS5 32bit (just hit 'E') and PS 64 bit with Alt2, LR Alt 3 etc.
          FSV also has a very nice contact sheet builder, you can tag/untag for culling etc. plus lots more.

BTW FSV has color management, however I find it slows things down a bit.

As you can tell I'm a big fan, and subsequently made a donation.

Comment