Pen Tool. How to move anchor points.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pen Tool. How to move anchor points.

I am struggling to learn the pen tool. I am currently working with a shape layer.

In case it might help, I have created a basic shape using a document 284x284 pixels, with the grid at the default setting. At this stage I have 2 questions....

1) How do I show up the existing anchor points on this shape, ie just make them visible.

2) How do I move the anchor points in and out, or from side to side? I don't want to affect the curvature of the lines at this stage. I just want to experiment with moving the anchor points around.

I would be most grateful for some help....
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Canna W; 10-09-2011, 03:49 AM. Reason: Left out a sentence.

Re: Pen Tool. How to move anchor points.

to select the path to work on;
    Direct selection tool > path tool ctrl(cmd) click on path -- you should see the path and points now

go back to the pen tool (to select a point)
    alt (option) click on a point to move it

HTH

- Nancy

Comment

Hi Nancy,

Thank you very much for that

I managed the first bit fine, and was able to see the anchor points, but I could not do the second bit. Every time I pressed alt and clicked on an anchor point, all that happened was the lines around it started curving. The attached image shows what happened when I tried....

At this stage I want the lines to stay straight, I just want to learn how to manoeuvre the anchor point itself.
      Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Canna W View Post
        Hi Nancy,

Thank you very much for that

I managed the first bit fine, and was able to see the anchor points, but I could not do the second bit. Every time I pressed alt and clicked on an anchor point, all that happened was the lines around it started curving. The attached image shows what happened when I tried....

At this stage I want the lines to stay straight, I just want to learn how to manoeuvre the anchor point itself.

well it's all connected so it's going to stretch any attached lines/curves. Does Ctrl (cmd) click with the pen tool not do what you want?

Comment

Ahhhhhh, I thought pressing Control and clicking on the path only made the anchor points visible...I didn't realise it also enabled you to move the anchor points around. I have just had another experiment, and it does exactly what I want - makes the anchor points visible AND enables you to move them. Fantastic. Thank you!

Comment