Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

select an alpha channel my mask is inverted why?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Photoshop: select an alpha channel my mask is inverted why?

hi

i have noticed a strange behavior ,or it's me

i wanted to create a mask , with calculation

the screenshot
    http://i.imgur.com/KRzDINB.png

i have my channel masks
    http://i.imgur.com/A4Szd8e.png

but when i Ctrl+click on it and adjustament layer Curve , i get a cuver with the mask inverted
    http://i.imgur.com/zG39AdU.png

why?
    thanks

Re: select an alpha channel my mask is inverted wh

Hi Mantra
    Channels can be set so the color (or the black areas) represent the masked areas and they also can be set so the color (or the black areas) represent the selected areas.

You have your channels set for the later of those two options so when when you load the channel as a selection and create a Layer mask, it will appear inverted as Layer mask always show black as the masked areas.

You can verify this by double clicking the channel and it will show which mode you have selected. I would check that first.

Comment

Originally posted by John Wheeler View Post
      Hi Mantra
      Channels can be set so the color (or the black areas) represent the masked areas and they also can be set so the color (or the black areas) represent the selected areas.

You have your channels set for the later of those two options so when when you load the channel as a selection and create a Layer mask, it will appear inverted as Layer mask always show black as the masked areas.

You can verify this by double clicking the channel and it will show which mode you have selected. I would check that first.
      hi
      thanks John
      another fix !!!!
      appreciate your help

Comment

You're welcome Mantra

Comment

Related Topics

Collapse

• pixeltickler
          I'd like a tutorial on Gradiated (sp?) alpha channels.
          by pixeltickler
          I'd like a tutorial on Gradiated (sp?) alpha channels, like the one Jim Johnston did for his Glamour puss retouch (#12). I know Jim gave a description of what he did, but I guess I'm either too dense or too inexperienced to make heads or tails of his directions. So is anyone out there up to making...
          12-27-2003, 10:36 PM
        • juano
          Green Screen Extraction Technique
          by juano
          Does anyone know of a technique of extracting people off a green screen by duplicating the green channel to create a channel mask.

I attached a screen grab of the channels panel as an example.

I was rummaging through some old files at work and came across this. Apparently...
          07-20-2011, 09:26 PM
        • beestripe
          How can you combine multple alpha channels into a single mask?
          by beestripe
          I have wedding photo where the bridal party is walking down a path. I want to Lens Blur the backround by creating a gradient mask leading away behind her up the path, but keep the bridal party sharp in the foreground.

Normally I would do this by:
          - Creating a gradient in quick mask...
          10-03-2007, 05:04 AM
        • ajava
          Help me please, with the actual MASKING part.
          by ajava
          Quote:
          Originally Posted by mistermonday
          "I simply converted the orig image to LAB and selected the B channel (most contrast) and duplicated it. Then using the Apply Image command, applied the B channel to itself in Overlay Mode. A simple levels adjust to boost the contrast...
          01-22-2006, 05:06 PM
        • Remi
          blending into mask
          by Remi
          Hello!
          I'm trying to add a new sky to a picture and I'm using the "blend if" sliders in the layer style options. But I would like to make some changes to this blending. Is it possible to create a mask from this blending, that could then be manually corrected?
          Thank you!
          10-28-2006, 05:27 AM
        Working...
        X