A different software problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A different software problem

Yeah, it's me with another problem. After formatting my hard drive, I re-installed my software. Now when I try to use MS Word or MS Works, it asks me for a 25 digit product key number. I enter the number, but it tells me it is not a valid number (I checked it several times). My computer is a little over a year old, and the software was installed by Dell before it was shipped to me. Any ideas?

Ed

Ed -- bummer!

Have you called Dell? I once had a problem reinstalling Adobe PShop with the serial number not being accepted, and called Adobe. The number that showed up in my software lacked the last three digits (and I had mislaid the paperwork with the full number). Adobe asked a couple of questions to verify I was a registered user and gave me the whole number. Perhaps the number you have is NOT the whole number -- might not be the case, but I would think that Dell could still help. How long a wait does it require to contact them?

Hopefully, someone here will have the easy solution...

Comment

Thanks for the reply CJ. No, I haven't tried to contact them yet. There are supposed to be 25 digits, and that's what I have. I was hoping someone had an easy answer.

Ed

Comment

I hope there is an easy answer that someone can enlighten us all on, but I think your best bet is to call Dell.

Jeanie

Comment

Usually when I run into that problem I am putting in a 1 instead of a l or a 0 instead of a O, or vice/versa. Have you checked for those?

Tyeise

Comment

Hi Ed, I saw this problem discussed on another list, but didn't follow it since I use a Mac, but I found this reference that might shed some light.

Hope this helps, Margaret

Comment

Tyeise,
              I think that's probably a common error. But mine had nothing that could get mixed up in that way. Thanks for the heads-up though.

Margaret,
              Mine is more than a nuisance. I renders my programs completely useless. Thanks for the link. At first I thought it was just what I was looking for.

Jeanie,
              I think you're right. I'll have to give Dell a call. Thanks.

Ed

Comment

Hey Ed,

I ran into this problem before. It seems it's just a precaution that Microsoft takes to prevent others from stealing software.

Anyway, all I did was call Microsoft, gave them my registration number and I was given instructions on how to activate the product again. Everything will work as before.

Comment