Canto Cumulus

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Canto Cumulus

I manage the digital department of a high volume commercial photo studio. We currently archive our photos to DVD upon completion of a job. Once archived
    we then drop that DVD into a program called Canto Cumulus. Cumulus is able
    to create thumbnails of every file and allows us to search our entire
    database of images in very specific ways and let's us know what CD or DVD the
    image being searched is on. However, recently (maybe even longer than I'd like to believe) cumulus is ignoring files... Sometimes entire job folders and even entire DVD's. We have consultants who have been in direct contact with Cumulus in Germany and to make a long story short...after spending tons of $ in consulting we still have no solution and my workflow is being brought to a hault...Cumulus support is worthless and I was hoping someone out there may be able to advise or at least let me know I'm not the only one in the world with this problem.

Though I didn't have the problem you describe, I was less than impressed with Cumulus. They do have some remarkable features that no one else has, but if you don't need those features they fall behind quickly. If you do need those features, then there's really no alternative.

From your description, it sounds like you're not using any of those features. If you're running Windows, I'd recommend ThumbsPlus. If you're on a Mac their are less choices. Extensis Portfolio would be the primary one, but I had it crash randomly on me (though I was using the Windows version).

Though it's pretty old now, you can read my opinion here.
    Learn by teaching
    Take responsibility for learning

Comment

Related Topics

Collapse

• Nanls
      computer safety
      by Nanls
      I am going on vacation so I thought this is the best time to take my Mac in to have the DVD/combo drive fixed. Since I do all my banking, bill paying, etc. online, if I remove the cookies and history is there any place else I need to worry about that people could pick up my passwords? Any help is appreciated....
      10-02-2005, 02:06 PM
    • dcarr
      Any IT answer people here?Need some help
      by dcarr
      My servers are acting screwy at work. Have 2 small compaq running novel groupwise 5 (sucks) waiting for win 2000pro. One server keeps disconnecting from the other. I can usually reboot and get them up and running. but today, servers working ok, yet half my users off. Checked cables, router and hubs,...
      05-05-2003, 04:36 PM
    • westsidemaurice
      collections, family archives, how to market ?
      by westsidemaurice
      Years ago I did several very large photocopy projects...resized, produced better-than-original images, only occasionally even suggesting restoration because I didn't like the looks of airbrushing and it was a hassle anyway...

I was stupid to charge on a piecework basis: The clients could...
      01-24-2005, 02:32 PM
    • cricket1961
      Its May -DVD Update time
      by cricket1961
      Well May is here, and I had said that I was aiming to have my DVD done by May.

Its not.

I have been so swamped with Retouching and Alpha/Beta work for Adobe that I have barely enough time to see my 3 sons at eh end of the day.

But it is in the works and has...
      05-06-2008, 10:12 PM
    • gerlach_photo
      DVD recommendation
      by gerlach_photo
      Hi,

i'm seraching for a tutorial (dvd) - about image looks - the creative part like Benjamin Becker (http://www.benjaminbecker-photography.de/). Not about dodge and burn, about color. I really like the DVDs from digitalphotoshopretouching.com, especially the third DVD. Does anybody know...
      05-21-2013, 09:14 AM
    Working...
    X