48bit scanning

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 48bit scanning

I'mnot sure if this is the right the right place for this question but I'll ask any way.
    I recently tried to scan some images at 48 bit rgb. i'm using a epson2400 photo scanner . My problem is, if I scan the photos and save them directly to the hard drive (as a jpeg) then open them in photoshop cs, photoshop converts them to 24bit. if I use the import command in ps and save them as a psd. file then the 48 bit file is preserved. Is this a problem with my scanner software or a setting in ps?
    thanks dennis

I don't think JPG supports high-bit, but regardless it's contradictory to use a format that discards color information to store high-bit information. That's one of the several reasons why JPG is a poor choice for scanning.
    Learn by teaching
    Take responsibility for learning

Comment

Related Topics

Collapse

• Doug Nelson
      Scanning workflow
      by Doug Nelson
      I'm just being nosy, but perhaps others will find this enlightening. Could you share your specific scanning workflow? Settings, software, tricks, tips, etc.

I use an Epson 3200 which I leave at 600ppi unless I'm scanning something very small (assuming we're talking photos here). I turn...
      04-24-2007, 01:25 PM
    • lamboe80
      Scanning multiple pictures at once???
      by lamboe80
      Hi
      I have a question about scanning. This might be the wrong forum, but its the best I could find. I have hundreds of pictures I want to scan and it's going to take months if I scan one at a time. Is there a program or something where I can scan 6 pictures at a time, and it automatically save...
      01-08-2004, 01:36 PM
    • maverick911
      Settings for Scanning
      by maverick911
      What dpi should I use to scan in old photos? And which file format should I save them in using PS3?

Using an Epson Perfection 1240U.
      09-24-2010, 07:36 AM
    • liquid_katfish
      Do u lose quality when scanning ??
      by liquid_katfish
      Hello,

I'm about to scan in over 100 images that are about 50 years old and i had a person tell me that i may lose quality when scanning the images and that some of the photos may lose the whole image because of the paper its been printed on.

Now before i start scanning...
      07-30-2007, 10:53 PM
    • Fazools
      Will Scanning at 48bit with no adjustments work?
      by Fazools
      I use silverfast AI studio, and love it. However I have about 10 more photo albums to scan in 2 weeks, and they are from the 1940s and 50s.

Usually I lower the saturation for the black and whites to 0, then adjust the colors to get better tones. This takes a long time though. I also...
      04-18-2006, 08:43 PM
    Working...
    X