will not close

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• will not close

After I have worked with Photoshop Elements 3 for a while and exit the program I can click "Ctrl Alt Del", and under the tab "Processes" I can see that this program is still working and using 99% of my CPU. If I look under the tab "Applications" there is nothing listed as working. If I try to close Photoshop from within the "Processes" window I get the message "Access Denied". Meanwhile my computer is heating up and all other programs run very slowly if at all. Please help!
    Thanks,
    Franky

Franky, welcome to RP. How much hard ddrive space do you have free? How much RAM do you have in your machine, what Operating System and processor speed are you running?

Comment

Thanks for the welcome!

C drive has 8.56 GB free; D (where pictures are stored) has 5.76 free;
      RAM is 1056MB
      OS is Windows 2000
      Processor is AMD Athlon 2600+ running at 2.2Ghz usually holding at 42 degrees until Elements goes beserk.

Thanks!
      Franky

Comment

What's the name of the process?
        Learn by teaching
        Take responsibility for learning

Comment

Huh? I'm running Photoshop Elements 3 and when I close it out evidently something else keeps running in the background. Opening Windows Security (Ctrl, Alt, Del) and clicking the tab Application NOTHING is listed as running. Clicking Processes I can see that PhotophopElements is using 99% of my cpu. Meanwhile my temp guage keeps rising. Not good. Please help.
          Thanks!
          Franky

Comment

Franky, try resetting your Preferences by holding down the Ctrl+Alt+Shift keys at the same time while starting Elements. If that does not work, then I suggest you post your question here http://www.adobeforums.com/cgi-bin/webx/.eeb4f8b/
            Regards, Murray

Comment

Elements has several potential processes, so knowing the complete and precise name might help narrow it down.

Have you installed the 3.0.1 update?
              Learn by teaching

Comment

MisterMonday!

I will try the "Ctrl+Alt+Shift keys" as you suggested, thanks!

Also, I have been trying to post this at the Adobeforum site as you also suggested for days now. I evidently have already registered there but cannot remember my user name/password. I have asked maybe 10 times for an email from them to let me know what they are but nothing has arrived yet. Any ideas on that?

(And do you know what "Doug" is talking about with the "potential processes"? I use many many features of Elements so should I list them all?)
                Thanks!
                Franky

Comment

Just the exact process name listed under task manager.
                  Learn by teaching

Comment

Franky,
                    The Adobe Forums do not have a lot of admin support available. Hopefully a moderator will pick up your request and respond in time. If you can recall your Userid, there should be a "Forgot Password" button somewhere.

As for Doug's statement, PSE may not be running a single process. What you need to do is Ctrl Alt Delete to bing up the Task Manager and click on the Processes tab and leave that window in the foreground on your monitor. Then quit PSE and watch the Processes window and copy down the exact entire name of the process (or processes) which is / are running which are consuming all of your CPU time.

Regards, Murray

Comment

Doug & Mister...

Doug- Sorry, me dumb sometimes. Under Task Manager/Processes is listed "PhotoshopElemen" (no "t"). Other than Acrobat 7 this is the only program I have install from Adobe.

And, Murry also, this is the one and only process I ever see listed in Task Manager that goes to 99 CPU. I just did you suggestion about keeping Task Manager/Processes open in the foreground while working/closing Elements 3 and nothing happen this time. Odd. But thanks, guys, for your comments!
                      Franky

Comment

Working...
                      X