Editing workflow

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Editing workflow

Since my camera only produces jpg images (Canon Powershot S5-IS) Is it better to batch convert original images to tif files prior to editing? When complete should the result be saved in tif, jpg or both. I'm using PS elements 6 on a Mac. Thanks for your suggestions.
    john sr

Re: Editing workflow

Ideally you don't want to pull up the jpeg file, edit it and save it back as a jpeg ... but a tif. Theoretically you lose a little information when you resave the jpeg back as a new jpeg. I, however don't do this. I pull up the jpeg, edit it and save it as a jpeg. I'm sure if I continued to do this to the same file I would eventually see a difference with the original. To date, I never have. For shots I consider important and special I do save as a tif, but those are rare. Never save back on top of the original jpeg. Tif files are just too large to save everything as a tif.
    Last edited by skydog; 03-30-2008, 07:06 PM.

Comment

Re: Editing workflow

Thanks. I had tried a few experiments and I couldn't see any difference in the appearance of the photo only a small loss is size after many saves. The nice thing abut a Mac and IPhoto is that it always has the original file plus I usually burn the originals to a cd right after downloading.
      john sr

Comment

Related Topics

Collapse

• frankg
        Snapseed (ios)
        by frankg
        I tried all the Save, Save copy, Export but all seem to result in a Jpeg file.
        I am opening a Tif and want to save it as a Tif after editing in Snapseed.
        Can you advise ?
        03-30-2020, 09:49 AM
      • BBE
        Saving jpg in Elements 5
        by BBE
        I am new to Elements 5 and this forum so hope that someone can help please. If I open an RAW file (Nikon .NEF) everything works well until I want to save the finished result as a .jpg file. "Save as" gives me a list of extensions but not JPEG i.e. *.jpg. It does give me the option of JPEG...
        05-08-2007, 10:55 AM
      • Gerald McClaren
        Save unfinish photo as Jpeg or Tiff
        by Gerald McClaren
        I would like to know if the picture you are restoring is a Jpeg and you restore part of the picture, do you save the unfinish photo as a Jpeg or Tiff.

Gerald McClaren
        09-21-2005, 12:53 AM
      • justone
        JPEG Artifacts
        by justone
        I was thinking today about the JPEG artifacts in my pictures and had this question: Do saving or moving my JPEG pictures add artifacts each time? For example:

1. I take pictures with my Digital Camera (Canon A520) with the highest quality levels all the time.

2. Then i...
        04-10-2006, 06:52 PM
      • Dropbear67
        Adobe RGB vs S-RGB conversion issues with JPEG
        by Dropbear67
        When I open a JPEG that has a SRGB colour pallete saved and convert it to Adobe-RGB within photoshop (which is my standard colour pallete) it works fine and I can work on the image ok, however after I save the .PSD and convert back to JPEG I find the resulting JPEG file quite different from what I see...
        11-26-2006, 01:47 AM
      Working...
      X