No announcement yet.

Fading a layer

  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Fading a layer

    In PE2, or using Hidden Power tools, does anyone know how to smoothly dissolve part of a layer, like a gradient effect. so that the underlying layer shows through? If there were some way to use the standard gradient options, some interesting results might be achieved.

  • #2
    There are several ways to do this. Try this one:

    1. Create the content of the layer that you want to 'blend' in its own layer, over the background. call this layer Content.

    2. Activate the Background and create a new blank layer. call it Mask.

    3. Fill the layer from step 2 with a gradient from white to transparent; this will require adjusting the gradient tool via the Gradient Editor.

    4. Group the Content layer with the Mask layer.

    This will use the solidity of the Mask layer to remove intensity of the Content layer.

    You can paint or fill the Mask layer in other ways to affect the masking content and the result.

    That help?

    Richard Lynch


    • #3
      Worked like a charm, Richard! My background was a negative (inverse of the photo) and the content was the photo itself. First I made the foreground color white, and then I opened an adjustment gradient layer as the mask layer. This way you get a neat little 360 arrow that allows you to swing the gradient around. Playing with the stops in the gradient editor affords great control over the effect.
      Thanks for a simple solution!


      Related Topics


      • Doug Nelson
        Gradient Layer Mask
        by Doug Nelson
        Any layer mask can be a gradient...just make a layer mask (not the same as regular mask) and gradient (or paint) away (you might want to make a copy of the layer first, then layer mask, then use multiply mode or one of the other modes to darken or lighten)
        05-20-2002, 12:28 AM
      • oxfordian32000
        Nonlinear gradients
        by oxfordian32000
        I have been introducting myself to gradients to help overlay textures from one layer to another. I use a radial gradient on a texture image, with a layer mask, to give contour to another image. The radial gradient starts from opaque at the center of the overlaid image, and goes to transparent at its...
        10-11-2004, 11:14 PM
      • CascoGraFX
        "...they just fade away" (somehow or other)
        by CascoGraFX
        How can I "fade" the enclosed background from full color to transparent (left to right). I have looked for a tutorial on gradients but haven't found one thus far...doesn't mean it's not there, just that I haven't found it. Thank you.
        09-21-2004, 09:18 AM
      • Jon
        Gradient applied to opacity possible??
        by Jon
        I am trying to apply a gradient to a layer so that the opacity of the layer is greatest in the middle and as you go out towards the edge of the layer the opacity decreases. Is this possible in photoshop? If so, how would you do it? Thanks! This really has me stumped.
        09-23-2002, 03:07 AM
      • mermaid
        Fading to transparent
        by mermaid
        Hi, I'm trying to do a photo montage for a mother's day present and I want to fade the edges of a photo to transparent. i.e. solid in the middle and gradually fading out to transparent. I know there must be a simple way to do this but I'm completely unable to figure it out. Help!!!

        05-02-2004, 06:19 PM