scratch disk

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• scratch disk

new to photoshop. how do i get to see contents (capacity) of scratch disk and how do i change ?

how do i format this message i.e. font size color ?

Hargold, welcome to RP! Your scratch disk is just a place that Photoshop uses as a temporary working area to store interim files it is working on. If you have a large image with many layers at high resolution, PS will often not have enough RAM to keep everything in active memory, so it needs a scratch pad area. When you close PS down normally, it clears the scratch disk files.
    Unless you designate a Scratch Disk in the preferences when you install PS, your system drive (C) will be the default scratch disk. If you have a 2nd physical drive in your computer, PS will run more efficiently if the other drive is designated as the scratch disk. The only time you will ever notice that there is real usage of the scratch disk is when PS is shut down abnormally (if PS crashes or the computer freezes while PS is active). Then you may find a file with the extension .pst. The file will be very large (usually several hundered MB and you will not be able to open it. You can just trash it.
    Regards, Murray

Comment

Related Topics

Collapse

• lukasdp
      Best hard drive configuration for PS and Mac Pro?
      by lukasdp
      My 2.8 Quad core is in the mail. As I up grade the RAM over the next few months I'm curious as to your thoughts on the best possible hard drive configuration to get the best performance out of photoshop.
      In terms of scratch disks and boot drives, should PS be installed on the boot drive or not?...
      10-22-2010, 05:43 PM
    • Sharon
      2nd Hard Drive
      by Sharon
      I am looking into getting a 2nd hard drive for my computer. I heard that it was best to put Windows Virtual memory and PS’s Scratch Disk on the 2nd hard drive. How do you have your 2nd hard drive set up?

Thanks.
      Sharon
      07-16-2002, 11:29 PM
    • seanarmenta
      scratch info in info palette
      by seanarmenta
      what does it mean when it says

Scratch: 3.16G/1.63G

under the info palette?
      08-10-2006, 09:07 PM
    • Forgiven4ever
      Photoshop home edition
      by Forgiven4ever
      I have been busy making montages lately. 150 Dpi is good for poster size and I have made one at 18x24" with 50+ shots and a 24x36" with 80 shots. This about maxed out my computer's memory. What confused me is the message that my scratch disk is full. I have 2 60 gig drives with 50 and 40...
      10-29-2004, 03:25 PM
    • pure
      using an empty external FW800 drive only for Photoshop as scratchdisc?
      by pure
      does it make sense to buy an external FW800 (or FW400) drive only for Photoshop as scratchdisc, which is always empty?

i work on a laptop (powerbook 15" 1,67) with an external TFT screen, and i found out that PS CS2 uses the external drives i have to swap images.

this...
      04-12-2006, 05:22 AM
    Working...
    X