Clone Tool - Aligned tickbox question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Clone Tool - Aligned tickbox question

In my Photoshop CS2 book there's a Q&A section at the end of each chapter.

Can anyone advise on the answer to this question:-

The Aligned checkbox for the pattern Stamp tool in the Options Bar ensures that:

a - all areas painted with the tool are continuations of the same underlying pattern

b - you are sampling from the same pixels in the pattern with which you are painting

c - you are sampling from the same relative point in the pattern with which you are painting

d - the upper left corner of the pattern with which you are painting is aligned with the beginning of each brush stroke

my answer was C but the book's answer was A.

i tried it afterwards and with aligned ticked i was sampling from the same relative point on the image - not the same point.

answer A suggests it is a continuation of the underlying pattern.

who's right and why?

Re: Clone Tool - Aligned tickbox question

I would say "C" too.

Maybe a misprint. Is there an online errata page with corrections?

Comment

The answer is "A".

If the box is unchecked, then every time you click to clone it will always clone from the set point.
      If the box is checked then it will keep the initial distance from your set point to the first stroke you perform. So if you move from the top of the image when you are done cloning there, then when you go to the bottom of the image it will keep the same distance ratio as before. But it will NOT clone the same set point each time(like the unchecked box would).

Does this help?

Chris

Comment

The Aligned checkbox for the pattern Stamp tool in the Options Bar ensures that:
        The Pattern Stamp and Clone Stamp tools are different. Perhaps that's the confusion?

Comment

Originally posted by cricket1961 View Post
          The answer is "A".

If the box is unchecked, then every time you click to clone it will always clone from the set point.
          If the box is checked then it will keep the initial distance from your set point to the first stroke you perform. So if you move from the top of the image when you are done cloning there, then when you go to the bottom of the image it will keep the same distance ratio as before. But it will NOT clone the same set point each time(like the unchecked box would).

Does this help?

Chris
          Although title of thread specifies "Clone tool," question text says "the pattern Stamp tool" -- different critters.

Does that change anything?

Comment

Nope. Changes nothing. Its the same tool with different pixels being laid down.

Comment