Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Will external Hard Drive make Photoshop faster?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Will external Hard Drive make Photoshop faster?

Ok this is going too sound stupid,
    I have an External HardDrive that I dont use.
    Can I put my CS2 on it and run it off of it?
    Will it make what ive done hard too pull up that way?
    Would it make it run smoother and Faster taking it off the OS Drive, Cause Cs2 does lag for me.

Frogger

Re: Another HardDrive

To clarify, you have 2 hard drives: C:\ and the external hard drive.

Is that correct?

An easy thing to try would be to:
    * Open Photoshop's Preferences dialog
    * Specify the drive letter of the external hard drive for the Primary Scratch volume

This may improve things some, but don't get your hopes up too much.

=============

How much RAM do you have on your PC?

De-fragmenting your hard drive could help some, too.

Comment

I have 2 gigs or Ram

Comment

First is on Startup is that what you want me too change too the external drive?
        And what does Scratch disk do?

Comment

I would not recommend moving applications from the location that they were installed to especially one as complex as CS2. There are support files that go with the application that are in your User folder that CS2 may not be able to locate if the app is moved. I think you would be asking for trouble.

Now, if you want to create a location for your Scratch disk on the external drive No problem and if you allocate enough space, might make your stuff run faster. A scratch disk holds temporary files while the application is running and, if your computer is set up correctly, these are deleted when you quit the program.

The best way to add more and smoother operation to PS is to add more RAM. Two Gigs is "sufficient", but remember, your Operating System and any other open applications and background applications are using a portion of those 2 GB.

Comment

thank you,
            Is there a topic that gets into detail on setting up my scratch disk too delete the files when closing and how too determine what too set the scratch disks on?

Comment

Originally posted by Frogger View Post
              First is on Startup is that what you want me too change too the external drive?
              Correct.

First: Startup = C:\
              ...which means PS and Windows are competing with one another.

re: And what does Scratch disk do?

It's a long story... Good writeup here:
              http://graphicssoft.about.com/od/pho...cratchdisk.htm

Comment

Ok sorry for asking so much,
                So I should change the first too the external and then they wont be competing with each other?
                And if doing that then should get better flow or operation with photoshop?

Comment

Ok sorry for asking so much

You are not asking too much at all, in fact this is a very good topic.

Posting the link was my way of helping you sooner/faster. There is no way I could have presented the information as thoroughly. And I type very slow.

So I should change the first to the external and then they wont be competing with each other?

Yes.

And if I do that should I get better flow or operation with photoshop?

Maybe yes, maybe no.

You might see "some" improvement, but probably not a lot. More RAM as Swampy suggested will help more.

-----------------

?? How many years have you had your computer?

?? When was the last time you defragmented C:\?

[Don't worry. It's OK to say "Never" if that is the case.]

Comment

Re: Will external Hard Drive make Photoshop faster

hi,
                    well these are my thoughts... now y ou didn't mention what kind of external hard drive... is it a usb ata or is it a sata iwth usb adapter or is it a esata...!!! that is very important...!!
                    note: usb and firewire data rates aren't really that great!

as a rule your external hard usb hard drives are slower than your avg good (pata) internal hard drive... and if you did put cs on it... cs would probably run slower than if it was on your internall

now your newer sata2 and when they come out sata3 HD ...there fast.... and for external the latest esata are faster than your usb or firwire... ... i have seen some reports about twice fast that usb or firewire.! although not sure how they compare to internal sata's..!

did some searching for you and thhis link has a lot of valuable data that you can compare.....
                    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Serial_ATA

Ok this is going too sound stupid,
                    I have an External HardDrive that I dont use.
                    Can I put my CS2 on it and run it off of it?
                    Will it make what ive done hard too pull up that way?
                    Would it make it run smoother and Faster taking it off the OS Drive, Cause Cs2 does lag for me.

Frogger

Comment

Ok
                      Ive had my computer for about 6 years Now LOL but upgraded it, with Ram and Vid Card.
                      It is 2.8 Gz but have 2 gigs ram and 5200 Gforce vid card.
                      The External is a usb setup, but I do have capabilities of putting it in my computer.
                      But not sure how too partition or if I add it then will it make another G drive on its own?
                      Also Thanks Danny after I responded too your post I did go too the link and read some and alot of good info there.

Comment

Frogger, Runniing CS2 from an external drive (even if you don't have problems as I mentioned above) is probably going to slow you down since a USB is not as fast as an internal drive.

Use your original install disks and install CS2 to your main (C) drive. You set up the scratch disk from the CS2 preferences. Just point the preference to any drive that you want to use as a scratch disk. Deleting the Temp files is automatic no need to worry about that.

Comment

Ok
                          Ive had my computer for about 6 years Now LOL but upgraded it, with Ram and Vid Card.
                          It is 2.8 Gz but have 2 gigs ram and 5200 Gforce vid card.
                          The External is a usb setup, but I do have capabilities of putting it in my computer.
                          But not sure how too partition or if I add it then will it make another G drive on its own?
                          Also Thanks Danny after I responded too your post I did go too the link and read some and alot of good info there.
                          "Age of computer" is not important. If you have not defragmented C:\ in 6 years, that could be a problem.

Here is some good information. Note: It could take MANY hours for this process to complete, so a good time to begin would be "before you go to bed."

http://windows.about.com/od/troubles.../ss/defrag.htm

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/u...ps/defrag.mspx

-----------

As Jerry noted there are many options for a disk drive, including rotation speed. If 15,000 Revolutions Per Minute, this is fast. If 7,200 RPM, this is slow.

A 7,200 RPM HDD inside your computer or outside may not help.

Not sure how too partition
                          http://support.microsoft.com/kb/309000 - would be a good place to start reading.

...or if I add it then will it make another G drive on its own?
                          I do not know the answer to this question.

Comment

Problem with USB external drives is that they suck of nice amount of CPU usage. You may gain little disk speed up by using scratch disk, but also lose some CPU speed.

As for Defrag software i can't recommend enough to use JkDefrag: (It's freeware and much better than many commercial products like bloated Diskeeper)
                            http://www.kessels.com/JkDefrag/ You just have to see the difference by yourself.

More detailed info about Defrag softwares (I don't trust any other reviews, as this guy really knows his stuff):
                            http://donnedwards.openaccess.co.za/

Comment

In addition to defragging, I highly recommend a little app called CleanUp for slow-running PCs.

http://www.stevengould.org/index.php...=29&Itemid=223

It's free, easy and reliable. An IT guy put me onto it ages ago, and I use it regularly.

Comment