Calculation command.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Calculation command.

I'm using photoshop since many years, I've command on most of the tools, I read lot of courses of katrin eismann, Lynda, Kelby, youtube videos, retouchpro forums and tutorials and some of from other sites. but still I'm not much familiar with the IMAGE ---->>>>> Calculation Command.

In which term this command very-very useful ?

Hope I will go with appropriate way.

Ash
    Last edited by ashphotoart; 07-31-2008, 02:56 AM.

Re: Calculation command.

Ash, as far as I know it is used for masking

Comment

it was also used quite a bit for bevel and emboss effects:

http://www.jeremymoore.com/KaisPowerTips/01/index.html

Comment

The Calculations command lets you blend two individual channels from one or more source images. You can then apply the results to a new image or to a new channel or selection in the active image.

I've never actually used it for anything. I do my blending in the layers pallet.

Comment

It sounds that it may be very useful in graphics.

I should learn tricks and techniques. Now I need some good links for the tutorials.

Ash

Comment

Originally posted by ashphotoart View Post
            It sounds that it may be very useful in graphics.

I should learn tricks and techniques. Now I need some good links for the tutorials.Ash

http://movielibrary.lynda.com/html/modPage.asp?ID=506 -- see especially "A first peek at the Calculations command"

Comment

I use it all the time as a starting point for accurate masking

Comment

I tend to use Apply Image instead of Calculations, but the ideas are usually interchangeable.

For masking purposes, I use Apply Image and Calculations for very specific kinds of masks. The technical ones that require some algebraic thinking. For the more tweakish and finese kinds of masks, I stick primarily to Layers.

If I remember correctly, you can thank Mark for this example of how I use Apply Image (and sometimes Calculations) for masking:

Selective Colour Hue Masks

(Mark, I did go a bit further with that one, but I never really got around to talking about it.)

Comment

Well, thank you all, your ideas is taking me on right way. please keep posting continue.

Ash

Comment

that seems like a lot of work considering the image that is being corrected...

Comment

One of the most underused command for proper and quick masking is color range - this uses Lab to create masks based on color and Luminosity, and can some of the time REPLACE a lot of tweaking around with Blend modes and Calculations. Just that its been around since the dawn of time and people dont realise its power.

An additional trick which I developed years ago to simplify masks involves using the magic wand (Yes you heard right the magic wand!), along with expand and contract blow out areas of unwanted detail in masks. This is done using actions.

Hello Stoker old buddy. Yes I remember our selective color talk.

Comment

Markzebra,

I'm eager to learn "Magic wand" technique. I'm wondered how you use it ?

Ash

Comment

Hi Stroker, good to see you around.

Although I can't really say that I use it, I believe I saw that the "magic wand' got quite an overhaul for CS3.

As to the question of calculations, I would say that (by definition) retouching folks tend to be more "visual" in their thinking (excepting us geeks ). So it easier to separate the channels to layers and play around with them on the palette while watching the results.

Comment

I must say that I don't use the magic wand very often, but it is worth remembering when you have a selection with a really good contrast. It can be the quickest way to make a simple selection.

Comment

Magic wand only ever used on MASKS never on pixel layers, and used combined with either expand, contract (or their filter equivalents Maximum and minimum) - the purpose of this is to keep transitional areas intact while taking the interior of masks to complete black or white - its a simplifying tool to quickly achieve the same as block brushing. work it out.

Comment