question on photoshop RAW.....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• question on photoshop RAW.....

I want to know if anyone has used a photoshop RAW extension, you know... save as... photoshop RAW...

Is it reliable? i've always worked with TIFF, PSD or JPG images when i give back a retouched final image and someone asked me to give back a RAW file, so i searched and i only found that photoshop let me save as photoshop RAW but till now i'm not really confident with that.

any help is really appreciated.

love,
    Silvia.

Re: question on photoshop RAW.....

I've never used it, but I wouldn't trust it. I doubt it's a widely compatible file type.

If somebody has asked you to return a raw file, I doubt they know what they're talking about. Try to get a little more information about their requirements.

Comment

Photoshop RAW is not the same as camera raw. The Photoshop .raw file format available under the Save As... menu saves as a headerless TIFF file, usable only in very specialized circumstances. Even Photoshop cannot read a Photoshop .raw file.

However, you can convert any JPG or TIF file into a DNG via Adobe Camera Raw. But it defeats most of the advantages of an actual raw file.
      Learn by teaching
      Take responsibility for learning

Comment

so... I better keep using TIFF files lol, i'll tell my customer, thanks a lot!!!

love,
        Silvia.

Comment

Originally posted by Doug Nelson View Post
          Photoshop RAW is not the same as camera raw. The Photoshop .raw file format available under the Save As... menu saves as a headerless TIFF file, usable only in very specialized circumstances. Even Photoshop cannot read a Photoshop .raw file.

However, you can convert any JPG or TIF file into a DNG via Adobe Camera Raw. But it defeats most of the advantages of an actual raw file.
          Hi Doug, could you specify what are those specified circumstances you say?

I'm wondering if this file type works when going back and forth between PS and LR.

Thanks,

Mart

Comment

Could they be wanting a photoshop .psd file so they can manipulate the layers?
            They might consider that a raw photoshop file.

Comment

Originally posted by Quantum3 View Post
              Hi Doug, could you specify what are those specified circumstances you say?

I'm wondering if this file type works when going back and forth between PS and LR.

Thanks,

Mart
              No, it's for medical, technical, or some other esoteric, legacy purpose.
              Learn by teaching
              Take responsibility for learning

Comment

The Photoshop Raw format saves a file without a header, meaning saves a file with no information on the size of the image, pixel place and order etc.. but only the pixel data.

Simply put, it would be like you receiving Ikea shelf with no instructions on how to put it together. You could have a guess at putting together (which is what you can prompt Photoshop to when you try to open this file), but you are not totally sure you are gonna end up with the right piece of furniture.
                There are softwares that allows you to insert a header in a Photoshop Raw file later on (that would be you going on the IKEA website to try to find the manual corresponding to your shelf).

This format is used, for example, with medical devices as the way the file should be read (the header) is located in the machine, therefore, no header is required in the file itself.
                hope that helps.

Comment