Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• cropping

Sorry about this dumb question.
    Whenever I try to crop a photo in a given layer, it crops the entire file, that is it crops the whole thing to the dimensions in the crop.

What am I doing wrong? Can't one crop when the image is embedded in a layer?

Regards

Manfred

Re: cropping

manfred,

Instead of using the crop tool, use the marquee tool. With the marquee tool, you'll be able to make any rectangular selection you'd like. If you want specific dimensions, you can set the Style, to Fixed Ratio or Fixed Size.
    Once you drag a rectangle to the crop you'd like to use, click on the layer mask button (to the right of the fx button in the layers pallet) This will mask your layer to your specific crop. And, since you used a layer mask instead of deleting, you can always go back and make changes.

RyRy

Comment

Thanks very much for that Mr Ryan.

Manfred

Comment

Also, when I crop an image, I find that suddenly the new image is enormous? Why is this so and how can I avoid it?

Cheers
        Manfred

Comment

You must have a value plugged into the resolution box at the top. If so, Photoshop resamples the resulting crop to that new resolution. If the resolution is larger than the original image's resolution, the image will have the appearance of "zooming" in.

Normally, the box should be empty to preserve the original resolution. You can always do the resolution change later and control it better with Image > Image Size.

Comment

Dear Tommy,

Thanks very much.

Manfred

Comment

Working...
            X