Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Adjustment layers

Dear all,

Some basic Photoshop questions if I may?

(1)Can you apply more than one adjustment layer to a layer, and if yes, where do they stack – above each other or next to each other on the layers pallete?

(2) Can you apply an adjustment layer to a group?

Thanks

Manfred

Re: Adjustment layers

(1)It depends on what PS you’re using. In CS4, place the main layer below the layer(s); then hold ALT+ clicking in between the two layers (then again between the next two). You can stack as many as you want. The attachment in denoted by the right angle arrow pointing to the layer below it’s attached to.

You can also click were the red arrow is in the adjustment layer.

(2) NO

Hope it helps,
    -Keven
    Attached Files

Comment

Manfred,
      I thought we should clarify just a little.

(1) Yes. This happens rather naturally. Any adjustment layers that are added above an existing layer are cumulative. For example, a Hue/Sat AL can be added above a Levels AL, and they both effect the lower layer. Kevins method is also known as a "clipping mask" and aids in controlling the adjustment to a single layer, rather than the stack.

(2) Yes. First you must convert the group into a Smart Object. Then just add the adjustment layer above the Smart Object.

Comment

Thanks once again Keven and Tommy.

That makes things very clear.

Regards

Manfred (Melbourne, Australia)

Comment

The correct answer to question is simply yes, Smart Objects are not necessary. If you change the blend mode of your group to Normal (its 'pass through' by default). Any adjustment layers you put at the top of the group will only affect the group and nothing outside.

Comment

Thankyou for all your advice. You're all experts in my eyes.

Regards

Manfred

Comment

Originally posted by Markzebra View Post
              If you change the blend mode of your group to Normal (its 'pass through' by default). Any adjustment layers you put at the top of the group will only affect the group and nothing outside.
              Can you go into a little more about what changing a folder to normal does or maybe what it could be used for. I see that changing it to normal actually stops any further editing under it unless the opacity is lowered or a mask is used.

Thanks,
              -Keven
              Last edited by igot2pman; 02-19-2009, 10:32 AM. Reason: error

Comment

its strange terminology but 'normal' groups operate effectively as sub documents as far as adjustments are concerned. The way to think about it is that Pass Through means, the adjustments layers within it pass-through the whole document. Of course if you create sub-groups (groups within group) the whole thing becomes more complex and you'll have to try it and see what this does. Structurally "Normal" groups should normally be the embedded ones.

"I see that changing it to normal actually stops any further editing under it unless the opacity is lowered or a mask is used." - sorry I don't understand what you mean there, you can still edit underneath

Comment

If you edit everthing, for say, in a folder but all you have is adjustment layers in it; then you set it to normal, the adjustments dont do anthing to the below background. Its only when you change to pass through, that the adjustments affect the below layers.

-Keven

Comment

Yes that's what the poster asked for. If he wants to apply his adjustments to the entire image he puts them on the top layers, or in a PassThrough set at the top. Its a completely flexible system that can do anything you want, no drawbacks. With either groups, embedded groups, or clipping groups you can affect exactly which layers you want with adjustments, normally without masks.

In Photoshop there's a WAY technically to do pretty well anything. So… when someone asks a question, the answer is normally 'yes'. 99 times out of 100 this is the case. If you don't happen to know what this answer happens to be, its more honest to shut up, than mislead them with incorrect advice.

Comment

One last question on this for now :

Can you use the layer filters (e.g. distort, pixelate, artistic etc) as adjustment layers, i.e. as non-destructive filters? If so how?

Regards

Manfred

Comment

I'm not sure what CS4 offers as enhancements. But, there are at least two simple means of doing so in CS3.
                        (a) merge your work up into a new layer (ctrl-alt-shft-E) and do the filter work on that layer. It is non-destructive to the previous layers.
                        (b) also, if you desire to go back and modify the filter settings later, do the same step (ctrl-alt-shft-E), then convert to a smart object. Now apply the filter. You will now be able to go back to the smart object and make changes to the filter if need be.

Comment

"Can you use the layer filters (e.g. distort, pixelate, artistic etc) as adjustment layers, i.e. as non-destructive filters? If so how?" -again yes, by grouping all the layers, into a Smart Object and then applying the filter. It creates a merged composite of the contents of the smart object automatically. No merging necessary. So you can apply these 'non destructive filters' to layers or groups of layers. These also respond to masking, opacity and modes.

Comment

Again, thanks Markzebra for your clear concise advice.

Regards

Manfred

Comment