Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Precisely Cutting out images from Photographs...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Precisely Cutting out images from Photographs...

How would I go about precisely cutting out an image from a photo and then saving it for later? Everything i try isn't working and i'm frustrated. I see other posts where people are removing things from the background to discard them.. but i want to keep them..

Re: Precisely Cutting out images from Photographs.

Masking is the answer here.

Peter

Comment

Okay, sorry to be a bugger, but do I choose from the options of layer mask and vector mask?

Comment

I'd use layer mask.

Simply Dupe your BG image so you've now got 2 layers, add a new layer between these 2 and fill with white. Select top layer and add a mask. draw around what you want to keep with the Pen tool or however you wish. Invert your selection, click on the mask and fill with black. Slightly blur the mask with Gaussian blur to soften the transition.
        Replace the white layer with your own BG
        This is a basic way of doing this, non destructive, the details are still there, but hidden, it can get difficult if trying to mask hair etc.

Hope this helps

Peter

Comment

Wow, thank you so much. That helps alot. It seems like alot of work for what you'd think was a simple procedure. I'll practice on that though.

Comment

Originally posted by pumpkincat210 View Post
            Wow, thank you so much. That helps alot. It seems like alot of work for what you'd think was a simple procedure. I'll practice on that though.
            I have heard that comment before. Could you tell us why you thought it was going to be a "simple procedure"? Was it something you read or something someone said or??

Thanks

Comment

Originally posted by Mike View Post
              I have heard that comment before. Could you tell us why you thought it was going to be a "simple procedure"? Was it something you read or something someone said or??

Thanks
              I don't know. It seems with all the already complicated features photoshop has, you'd be able to choose a pen outline your image, press cut and save and voila! Your image has been removed and you name and save it.

Comment

You can outline with the pen tool, make selection, feather a little, copy, paste into a new transparent doc, save. Peter was doing it with layers so he would still have all the original outline work for later if he wanted to go back and adjust the outline or make some other changes. A little extra work at the beginning usually saves you from having to redo it later on. Also, sometimes after you make your selection, if you click Select>Modify>Contract a pixel or 2, it will clean up any background where your outlining wasn't close enough.

Comment

just thought that i would also add that in some instances using the quick mask tool works (and umpteen other ways)

Palms

Comment

I find the easiest way to do this is to magnify the layer or image to 100 or 200%, use the pen tool to outline the object very tightly (the pen tool allows a curve), outline it, use the tool to convert the path to a selection, feather it if needed, click cntrl-c (copy), click cntrl-v (paste), and you will have a new layer with the object you outlined. Rename the file or make a .psd file, and you will be able to go to that image, click cntrl-a, click cntrl-c, and paste the object into another image by clicking cntrl-v in that image. You will now be able to use the transform tool to turn, reverse, size, or distort the layer for your needs.

Gary Silverstein

We Shoot

Comment

Have a look here: http://www.lynda.com/home/DisplayCourse.aspx?lpk2=322

Comment

Thanks for all your techniques and the link. I'm experimenting and although i'm still a little slow, i'm getting the hang of it.

Comment

I use the pen tool to draw around the object I want to keep; then right click with the pen tool over the object, choose "Make Selection." Then click Select tab, inverse, and press delete. The background will then disappear.

However, do make a duplicate layer before doing this in case you have to start over. Just turn off viewing for the duped layer when you do your cut.

Comment

if you have CS3 check youtube for tutorials on the extraction filter. Ive used it with excellent success.

Comment

You can do some amazing things with the extraction filter! Even in CS4 (which doesn't ship with the extraction filter), you can download it from Adobe (it's an 8Bf format filter) and use it in CS4.

Comment