Photoshop Pen Tool

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Photoshop Pen Tool

I have been trying to draw an open-ended path in Photoshop 6.0 but the program keeps closing the ends. How can I keep the path open?

Re: Photoshop Pen Tool

Originally posted by Dr.Geezle View Post
    I have been trying to draw an open-ended path in Photoshop 6.0 but the program keeps closing the ends. How can I keep the path open?
    Welcome to RetouchPRO Hope you enjoy your stay here and make lots of friends. Poke around, ask questions, have fun!

select your pen tool. at the top you'll now see all the options that relate to the pen tool. you'll see three little squares. The first is the one I think you might have selected. It is for drawing shapes, instead of paths, which would cause your line to close. The next square over will let you draw a path, and it won't fill when you draw it. This is what I think you need to have selected when you use the Pen tool.

This grab is from Ver7 but It should be close to the same
    Attached Files

Comment

I'v tried your suggestion but the path still closes. Something is keeping the path from cutting off properly.

Comment

Hello and welcome to RetouchPro. Not sure why your paths should be closing, I have included a link to a PDF on using the Pen Tool, I was unsure if it would be useful, but if your skill level is beyond that already, excuse me.

http://www.adobe.com/education/pdf/c.../ps7_cib09.pdf

Comment

(Another night owl?) Thanks for the PDF. It'll take me a while to work through it, but I'll let you know how it comes out.

Comment

It's 11.15am, I'm across the pond and turn right, although I am a night owl usually.

Comment

Related Topics

Collapse

• One4UAll
              Is learning the pen tool necessary?
              by One4UAll
              I'm a lower-intermediate PS user. I'm reading Katrin Eismann's "PS Masking & Compositing," & have come to the chapter on the pen tool. My experience with the pen tool has told me to avoid it, if at all possible.

All I'm doing, right now, is optimizing my images, but...
              01-06-2008, 01:04 PM
            • Canna W
              Pen tool - Can you stroke an open ended path?
              by Canna W
              I wondered if it was possible to stroke an open ended path, and end up with something that looks like this? I am sure the answer is going to be no, but I thought I'd ask ...
              10-12-2011, 12:12 PM
            • Canna W
              Pen Tool. How to move anchor points.
              by Canna W
              I am struggling to learn the pen tool. I am currently working with a shape layer.

In case it might help, I have created a basic shape using a document 284x284 pixels, with the grid at the default setting. At this stage I have 2 questions....

1) How do I show...
              10-09-2011, 03:47 AM
            • lacogada
              Photoshop Pen Tool ... Shape Fill Help
              by lacogada
              Trying to figure how to use the pen tool in shape mode.

Watched a few YT videos that show people drawing shapes around hair for example,
              and you can see the pen points and as soon as they close the shape, it gets filled.

When I try drawing the shape, it is constantly...
              07-30-2017, 09:30 AM
            • jeaniesa
              Pen tool vs. lasso tool?
              by jeaniesa
              In another thread, Mig mentions using the pen tool to create a path. That got me wondering, what is the benefit of using the pen tool to create a path (and then turning it into a selection) over using the lasso tool to create a selection? Or is this another case of using different techniques to get...
              06-07-2002, 12:13 AM
            Working...
            X