Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Pen Tool - Making two paths different colours.

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Pen Tool - Making two paths different colours.

    Is there any way I can make 2 paths in the same document, and stroke them so they are different colours? So far every time I stroke my latest path, the old path changes to the new colour as well. (Really, I would like to be able to put each new path on a different layer, or something like that.)

    With the attached example, I'd love to be able to stroke each box a different colour.

  • #2
    Re: Pen Tool - Making two paths different colours.

    Sorry, I forgot to upload the example....
    Attached Files

    Comment


    • #3
      Re: Pen Tool - Making two paths different colours.

      Hi Canna

      Various ways to do this.

      You have both paths included in the single Work Path. Instead create one path at a time and save each as their own path in the Path panel.

      Just select which path you want (and foreground color, stroke tool, etc) when making the stroke to either the same image Layer or do it to two separate image Layers.

      Alternately, keep both paths together. Stroke to two separate Layers (each Layer would be their own color as you set) then erase one Path Stroke from one Layer and erase the other Path Stroke from the other Layer. Yields two strokes of different colors.

      I am sure there are many other ways including stroking selections instead of Paths yet that is not what you requested. Hope this helps.

      Comment


      • #4
        Re: Pen Tool - Making two paths different colours.

        To add to what John said, you could also select just the path you want to stroke using the path selectiom tool (black arrow), right-click and choose "stroke subpath" (or click the stroke button in the paths panel). That will only stroke the selected path.

        Depending on what you want to do, you might want to use "shape layers" instead of this method. It is simply a Color Fill layer with a vector mask. You can add the stroke using layer styles (see attached image). This allows you to change the shape live without having to remove/reapply the stroke.
        Set "Fill" (not "Opacity") to 0% if you just want the stroke without the fill.
        Attached Files

        Comment


        • #5
          Re: Pen Tool - Making two paths different colours.

          Originally posted by John Wheeler View Post
          Hi Canna

          Various ways to do this.

          You have both paths included in the single Work Path. Instead create one path at a time and save each as their own path in the Path panel.

          Just select which path you want (and foreground color, stroke tool, etc) when making the stroke to either the same image Layer or do it to two separate image Layers.

          Alternately, keep both paths together. Stroke to two separate Layers (each Layer would be their own color as you set) then erase one Path Stroke from one Layer and erase the other Path Stroke from the other Layer. Yields two strokes of different colors.

          I am sure there are many other ways including stroking selections instead of Paths yet that is not what you requested. Hope this helps.
          Hi John,

          I was able to follow the first part of your suggestion..... I saved two paths separately, and stroked them - first the one path in one colour, and then the second path in another colour. I hadn't realised you could save paths. That was really helpful.

          I am still finding it impossible to use layers in conjunction with paths, so I gave the second method a miss. I am still very much a beginner with paths, so am trying to keep it as simple as possible for the time being. I will tackle the issue of layers when I find I need them. Many thanks for your help!
          Last edited by Canna W; 10-10-2011, 10:31 AM. Reason: mistake I corrected.

          Comment


          • #6
            Re: Pen Tool - Making two paths different colours.

            Originally posted by Chain View Post
            To add to what John said, you could also select just the path you want to stroke using the path selectiom tool (black arrow), right-click and choose "stroke subpath" (or click the stroke button in the paths panel). That will only stroke the selected path.

            Depending on what you want to do, you might want to use "shape layers" instead of this method. It is simply a Color Fill layer with a vector mask. You can add the stroke using layer styles (see attached image). This allows you to change the shape live without having to remove/reapply the stroke.
            Set "Fill" (not "Opacity") to 0% if you just want the stroke without the fill.
            Hiya Chain,

            I tried so hard to follow your instructions, but because I have the brain the size of a pea, I did not get very far.

            What you wrote sounded really helpful though, and I am sure it will be useful to me once I have a better idea about using the pen tool. I am bookmarking your comment so I can come back to what you have said. Thank you so much for taking the trouble to comment.

            Comment


            • #7
              Re: Pen Tool - Making two paths different colours.

              Hi Chain - it's me again.

              More fiddling around....... and this time I wonder if I have changed the settings in a way that I should not have done. Please see attached efforts. One with the Fill setting at 100%, and one with it at 0%. When I first tried it I was getting a stroke effect, but now I am getting nothing.

              I would be most grateful for some help.....
              Attached Files

              Comment


              • #8
                Re: Pen Tool - Making two paths different colours.

                You have done it correctly Canna_W! (Even with the lack of detail in my description).

                It seems you have accidentally clicked the little eye in front of "Effects" in the layers panel; that turns it on/off (you can see the eye is grey in front of "Stroke" now as a result).

                Comment


                • #9
                  Re: Pen Tool - Making two paths different colours.

                  Originally posted by Chain View Post
                  You have done it correctly Canna_W! (Even with the lack of detail in my description).

                  It seems you have accidentally clicked the little eye in front of "Effects" in the layers panel; that turns it on/off (you can see the eye is grey in front of "Stroke" now as a result).

                  Thank you very much indeed! I can now see the stroking. I am so pleased to have got it back....
                  Attached Files

                  Comment

                  Related Topics

                  Collapse

                  • jaz
                    Tutorial: Pen Tool, Creating a heart using
                    by jaz
                    Here's a recipe for creating valentines using the path tool. The advantage to creating shapes with the path tool is that they are stored as scaleable, mathmatical vectors and can be resized from very tiny to very large without looking jagged and grainy.

                    Additionally, using photoshop...
                    01-13-2003, 07:03 AM
                  • Canna W
                    Pen tool - Can you stroke an open ended path?
                    by Canna W
                    I wondered if it was possible to stroke an open ended path, and end up with something that looks like this? I am sure the answer is going to be no, but I thought I'd ask ...
                    10-12-2011, 12:12 PM
                  • Canna W
                    Pen tool query
                    by Canna W
                    I have come to grips with some of the basics of the pen tool (thanks to a couple of fantastic tutorials recommended at RTP.) I am stuck though on one thing - how to make a path with the pen tool, and then subtract an area from within the first path I've created. eg how to extract a smaller circle...
                    04-04-2010, 07:50 AM
                  • lacogada
                    Photoshop Pen Tool ... Shape Fill Help
                    by lacogada
                    Trying to figure how to use the pen tool in shape mode.

                    Watched a few YT videos that show people drawing shapes around hair for example,
                    and you can see the pen points and as soon as they close the shape, it gets filled.

                    When I try drawing the shape, it is constantly...
                    07-30-2017, 09:30 AM
                  • bestremera
                    Can't Stroke Path
                    by bestremera
                    Hi All,

                    Using CS2.
                    I'm experimenting with trying to paint a path using the stroke a path. option. But when I create a path to stroke, the Stroke Path option in the drop down menu is light gray (not available) and the little round Stroke Path with Brush button on the bottom of...
                    05-20-2006, 07:07 AM
                  Working...
                  X