Photoshop Issue That I can't Resolve :::

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Photoshop Issue That I can't Resolve :::

Hi friends, I have a Photoshop issue that I can't seem to resolve. I've Googled & YouTube'd for answers but found none. It may be operator error, I'm sure you'll let me know right???

I'm working on a picture that has about 10 layers on it. When I click the "B" key to go to the brush tool, Photoshop temporarily actives the brush tool but then it bounces right back to the tool that I had selected before that. I can hold down "Shift" to change tools and it seems to work.

I tracked the issue down to an luminosity layer. When I click off that layer, the issue went away. When I clicked on that layer, the problem was back. I deleted the layer and everything seemed fine.

Today, I start to work on the picture again and add a "color" adjustment layer and the problem came back. I can open up a different picture in PS and the problem seems to go away. But with this picture, the problem is there.

I've deleted the PS preference file. I I've repaired permissions, restarted etc..etc. Nothing seems to work. Am I overlooking something???

Thanks in advance,

-
    Dean

Re: Photoshop Issue That I can't Resolve :::

Hi Dean

To help forum members help you it would be good to know
    -Photoshop Version
    - which OS and OS version
    - Are the above two have all the most recent updates
    - Do you have installed/using any tablet
    - Do you have installed/using any keyboard or otherwise helper software that might intercept keyboard commands
    - Any plugins installed and active
    - Do you have any Events schedule to activate a script or action under File > Scripts > Scripts Event Manager
    - Is Bridge active or not during the problem
    - Any other programs active - do you still have the problem with all other programs deactivated
    - Have you tried to duplciate the problem by booting up in Safe Mode (both PCs and Macs have a safe mode)

The above info and steps may help debug your problem. Hang in there.

Sounds like you have done due diligence with the Perferences file

Comment

It sounds like you're holding the key down too long. Tapping a shortcut key switches tools, but holding the key for more than a split second will cause it to switch back to the previous tool once you let go.
      Learn by teaching
      Take responsibility for learning

Comment

Originally posted by Doug Nelson View Post
        It sounds like you're holding the key down too long. Tapping a shortcut key switches tools, but holding the key for more than a split second will cause it to switch back to the previous tool once you let go.
        Yea I've tried this already and that doesn't seem to be the issue. Thanks Doug!

Comment

It would be helpful if you could clarify on your OS etc as John asked in his reply.

I am aware of some potential issues with Mac OS giving strange problems Mac OS 10.6.6 for instance.

Comment

Hey guys, sorry I was away for a few days. I'll get that additional info up in just a bit.

In the meantime, I found that when I open this particular file within PS CS5 Ext or CS4 "on the same computer", I have this issue. But if I opened the same file using CS4 on a different computer, there is no issues at all. So maybe it's not PS, maybe my computer is the problem : /

Here's a Youtube vid that I just made to demonstrate this issue.

http://youtu.be/CCzdfLxhYWw
            Last edited by Deanster; 01-29-2012, 04:47 PM.

Comment

I am no longer a MAC user but if there is any place you are likely to find an answer to your question, it will likely be here:
              http://forums.adobe.com/community/ph...shop_macintosh
              Regards, Murray

Comment

This is a copy paste from an old post:

When you have a problem like this in Photoshop, the best thing you can do is re-initiate Photoshop to it's default settings. To do this, hold control + alt + shift (command +option+shift on a Mac) and click the Photoshop icon. You will get a window asking if you want to delete the settings file, click YES. Photoshop will return to the default settings, and you won't lose the old settings, but you will need to re-do your preferences. This is something we need to do from time to time if you use Ps constantly, at least that is my case.

Hope this helps !

Comment