Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Workflow improvements - linked smart objects

Hi

Wondering if someone can help me to refine my workflow?

Currently this is working:

1) Render half final resolution from rendering software - 32bit multichannel exr.
    2) Open in PS and do some 32bit tweaks.
    3) resize to final resolution.
    4) Use script to export each layer to 16bit tiff.
    5) Load as linked smart objects into main 16bit PS comp where most of the work is done.

The render elements are updated as required.

I'm thinking it would be good to have a workflow where I have the option to skip step 3 during the draft stages of production.

This way I can gain the performance benefits of working on the half res comp until I specifically need to be working in full res.

My issue is that I have 25 or so linked smart objects scattered throughout my 16bit PS comp, some with masks, some nested within groups, in other groups etc.

One I get to full resolution final, or if it's appropriate for me to be working at full resolution then I would like to be able to upscale the 16bit PS document, and then have a method to scale (down) the full res linked smart objects to the width of the PS document.

It will need to leave their masks and vector masks in tact and the scaling of these has already been handled when resizing the document.

Hope that makes sense

Re: Workflow improvements - linked smart objects

That is one crazy inefficient workflow.
    I would:
    Render small to make sure my lighting is good.
    Render required size with correct lighting.
    Render additional exposures/lighting.
    All the renders would be 16 bit, no point in 32.
    Merge portions that I need in PS, delete all unnecessary pixels.

And now you have a 20x smaller file for the same thing.

Comment

Thanks for your reply - any ideas on the scaling of the linked smart objects?

Comment

That is related to your workflow. You can, obviously, scale smart objects as much as you want, but raster masks will loose quality. This is why you don't over complicate things.

Instead work in 16 bit from the start, render in proper exposure and just merge what needs to be merged.

Comment

I appreciate what you're saying but personally I find it's quicker to do a lot of my adjustments in post. Also the render engine works in 32bit so I'd rather keep the data and tonemap in PS.

The downside is the larger file early on (which inevitably will become that large later), but it provides the control that I need.

If I can figure out an automated method of re-scaling the smart objects, perhaps a script, then I can have the flexibility to upscale only when I need to be working on a mask (that won't be replaced by one of the render elements) or destructive edits at full res.

Comment

I would love to see what you're doing that requires that kind of complexity.

Comment

Originally posted by skoobey View Post
              That is one crazy inefficient workflow.
              I would:
              Render small to make sure my lighting is good.
              Render required size with correct lighting.
              Render additional exposures/lighting.
              All the renders would be 16 bit, no point in 32.
              Merge portions that I need in PS, delete all unnecessary pixels.

And now you have a 20x smaller file for the same thing.
              I agree this is a more efficient workflow.

Spittle - What program are you rendering from?

Comment

With respect guys I don't want to get into a debate of whether you think I need to be working in 32bit or not.

I was simply asking for help on something specific.

Comment

After re-reading my original post I get that I should have probably reworded it as it looks like I was looking to overhaul what I was doing - which I wasn't. Sorry if I was unclear.

Comment

and Vray is my rendering engine

Comment

Specifically - you're overthinking it. No way 32 bit is necessary. You're making your life harder.

I worked on cars and we had to change the colors to match all the options and never did I use 32 bit.

Comment

Skoobey, clearly you're equally passionate and also as opinionated as I am on this matter.
                        (I meant that light heartedly)

Out of interest - how would you subtract a light select pass, or reflections in 16bit?

Comment

You render the portion with reflection with lower exposure settings, just like with any other photography.

Comment

By rendering 32bits you can simply edit that in PS. Meaning less test renders and faster output. You could use the photographer philosophy too but with 32bit you gain the flexibility where you can mix the two if required.

Like I said in my first post - my comp is 16bit. I use 32bit only when I need to, but as a minimum I use it for tonemapping, glare/bloom on the beauty pass, and to resize all of the render elements to final output size.

Note:

1) the render engine is processing in 32bit so it renders at the same speed even if you save out 16bit.
                            2) by rendering to 32bit vrimg format, if the farm crashes or whatever then any bucket that had finished would have been saved during the rendering process.
                            3) you can load the frame buffer back into the software if you need to.

Comment

Then pull what you need from 32 bit, cut the image up and continue in 16bit. PS tools don't work the same way in 32 bit and you're missing on a ton of features.

Where you are doing what I wouldn't is making multiple composites instead of 1 and using smart objects where not needed. You're mentioning farms so I guess it's some sort of furry character or something that you are rendering with a ton of geometry.

Comment