No announcement yet.

Sometimes it's the simple things......

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sometimes it's the simple things......

How do you do it??

I was working on an image to print on a t-shirt for a friend. It was a picture of her two grandchildren. Oval/round wouldn't work, but square corners didn't do it either.

But....how do you make a selection with rounded corners.

I got it done by creating a shape with rounded corners and then selected that and switched back to the picture and used the rounded corner selection.

Is there another way??

Yes CJ, someone left the door unlocked again and I was able to sneak out for a few minutes

Margaret

Hey Margaret - glad you could pop in for a minute!!

Unfortunately, I've always done it the way you described - make a shape with rounded corners, then use that to create the selection.

Jeanie

Comment

Just use the rounded rectangle path tool (set the pixel radius of the corner first). Make sure you're in path mode (second of the three choices up on the option bar). Then, from the paths palette, choose Make Selection from the options menu or click on the Load Path as Selection button at the bottom (3rd from left).

Sounds complicated, but it really isn't.
      Learn by teaching
      Take responsibility for learning

Comment

Since I was already making screencaps...
        Attached Files
        Learn by teaching

Comment

Well thank you Doug. I knew there had to be a better way.

I'm embarrassed to admit that at one point I was going to make circles at each corner and then erase part of the corners and glue the circles back in duh!

Take care, Margaret

Comment

Margaret -- your method would have just proved that there's always yet another way to get things done in Photoshop.

Do you want to make a tutorial of those steps --- before they make you go back into that room?

Comment

Of course, you could always go a non-round, non-square way...

Try making a square selection around the main part of the image, then switch to quickmask mode and apply some artistic filters. Leave qm, invert the selection (so you're selecting the edge, not the image, and fill with white. Do the white fill on a separate layer to protect your original.

Photoshop also has many ways of making the simplest things complicated
              Learn by teaching

Comment

I just found another way to do this:

Use the rectangular selection tool and make your selection. Then under the Select menu pick Modify > Smooth and enter the radius amount you want - there it is!!

Margaret

ps: CJ, they let me out for a bit to watch tv but it's boring tonight, so I'm playing

Comment

CJ, they let me out for a bit to watch tv but it's boring tonight, so I'm playing
                  -- Margaret

Don't let them take you back in there -- we need you here!

Comment

Working...
                  X