Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cs Upgrade

Hi All
    I have just upgraded to Cs from 7, and now Cs is much slower starting up and it tends to hog resources, anyway I am wondering if anybody is having the same problem as me.
    Cheers
    Chris

Originally posted by Romany
    Hi All
    I have just upgraded to Cs from 7, and now Cs is much slower starting up and it tends to hog resources, anyway I am wondering if anybody is having the same problem as me.
    Cheers
    Chris
    Hi Chris:

I don't have CS, but based on what I've read elsewhere you are not the only person experiencing these symptoms. They have been reported and complained about since CS came out.

If you are not yet a member of the Adobe.com forums, I suggest you join. Then check out this URL.

If you use search arguments at Adobe.com such as the following, you will find plenty more to read about:

cs slow
    cs performance
    cs startup

HTH...

~Danny~

Comment

Photoshop CS slow loading…possible reasons

When I first switched to Photoshop CS, it was extremely slow, but I was running it on a Pentium II computer. When I finally upgraded my computer it made a huge difference.

So first off, does your system meet the minimum requirements to run Adobe Photoshop CS?

System requirements
      Windows

Intel® Pentium® III or 4 processor

Microsoft® Windows® 2000 with Service Pack 3 or Windows XP

192MB of RAM (256MB recommended)

280MB of available hard-disk space

Color monitor with 16-bit color or greater video card

1,024x768 or greater monitor resolution

CD-ROM drive

Internet or phone connection required for product activation
      Macintosh

PowerPC® G3, G4, or G5 processor

Mac OS X v.10.2.4 through v.10.3 with Java Runtime Environment 1.4

192MB of RAM (256MB recommended)

320MB of available hard-disk space

Color monitor with 16-bit color or greater video card

1,024x768 or greater monitor resolution

CD-ROM drive
      I did a quick search on the web, and here are a few other reasons:

1. Photoshop CS + AutoFX PhotoGraphic Edges = Slow Loading
      It has been reported that Photoshop CS can take up to two full minutes to load if you have AutoFX PhotoGraphic Edges plug-in installed.

Update: AutoFX now has a patch.

Plug-ins do take time to load. You may want to remove unused plug-ins (for more information follow the Photoshop tune-up link). Another option If you want Photoshop to load faster, but still want easy access to your plug-ins, you may want to consider using a plug-in manager. Plug-in managers let you sort your plug-ins into sets and selectively load only the plug-ins you need.

2. RAM -Info from Adobe
      If the percentage of RAM allocated to Photoshop is too high, both the operating system and Photoshop can swap pages out of RAM, causing slow performance in Photoshop. Page swapping is a normal operating system function that only affects performance when the amount of RAM that Photoshop and the operating system are trying to use is more than the total amount of RAM on the computer. If you experience slow performance, reduce the amount of RAM assigned to Photoshop to 50% or 60%.

3. Image tile size - Info from Adobe
      Photoshop CS may allocate more memory (RAM and scratch disk) to itself when starting than previous versions, depending on the amount of RAM on the computer and the percentage of RAM allocated to Photoshop in the Memory Usage preference. The amount of available RAM on the system also dictates the image tile size in Photoshop (Photoshop uses tiles to redraw images in sections).

The Adjusted Refresh plug-in, available free on the Adobe website, reduces tile size as well as Photoshop's initial allocation of RAM and scratch disk. The plug-in may slow performance on systems with more than 1 GB of RAM or that use multiprocessors.

Adobe Article - Memory allocation and usage (Photoshop CS)

4. Photoshop Tune-up - From User-fundy.net
      You also might try this Photoshop tune-up. This will involve tweaking some settings and performing the general system maintenance required to improve Photoshop's startup time, which should also help to achieve snappier responses from some of those memory-intensive filters. The trick here is to strike the right balance between your workflow requirements and the resources at your disposal.

Comment