GUI widget editor for Photoshop Scripting

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GUI widget editor for Photoshop Scripting

I wish there was a reliable GUI editor for the Javascript widgets in Photoshop's scripting support. The UI is generally the hardest part of scripting Photoshop.

Cheers,

Mitch

Re: Conduit: a gui editor for Pixel Bender filters

There's a webpage out there that visually lets you design a script UI, then gives you the code. I can't find it, though. I thought there was a thread about it in the scripting subforum, but I can't locate it.
    Learn by teaching
    Take responsibility for learning

Comment

Re: Conduit: a gui editor for Pixel Bender filters

There have been a couple of solutions. CSUIB was unreliable. I found it to be flakey and it took more time to do the UI in CSUIB than to do it by hand, because of that. I saw the site. It's support was limited and mainly to the CS version.

I use Microsoft Visual Studio, since it has similar widgets. The problem is that PS Javascript handles the x- y-coordinates differently than any editor I've ever worked with. I have to do the math to convert every widget.

That's OK when you only have a couple of widgets. But when you have more than a handlful, it's very time-consuming.

I have started to use the layout method. It's faster to add the widgets but gives less control over widget placement. So, again, it works best when you have just a small handful of GUI widgets.

I believe the scripting interface would be used more, if there was a GUI editor. You do have conditional programming. Plus you can do things like temporarily change units to percentages for doing this like extending the canvas for framing effects.

Cheers,

Mitch

Comment

re: GUI widget editor for Photoshop Scripting

(I split the thread and moved this conversation to a new thread of its own)

I've been after Adobe for years to make scripting more user-friendly. Even if they don't offer a GUI interface, having the commands and their defs in a delimited format so various editor authors could easily port them to their own dictionary format would be very helpful.

However, I suspect it's an investment/return situation. There's not a lot of bottom-up scripters (ie: learning scripting for Photoshop). Rather, I suspect the market is made up of experienced coders that simply have to learn some new variables.
        Learn by teaching
        Take responsibility for learning

Comment