crop tool in PE4

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• crop tool in PE4

In PE4, the crop tool has a drop down menu item called "use photo ratio", which I've been using to keep the aspect ratio the same as the original when cropping.

After nicely cropping a bunch of pictures, I realized to my horror that the pixel count and resolution are staying the same, so it appears PE4 is resampling UP to achieve this! Which means, of course, that the pictures I cropped severely are looking awful, because of the significant upsampling.

This seems like strange behavior on PE4's part. Is there a way to crop to a preset ratio without the resampling? I just want to keep the aspect ratio the same!

Crop tool in PE4

Hi camner, One way is to select “ no restriction” from the drop down menu, then highlight the whole picture with the crop tool. This is your original aspect,whilst holding down the shift key (on a PC) crop to suit . This should retain the same aspect ratio and ppi’s ,albeit resulting in a smaller picture.
    Albert.

Comment

Brilliant! Thank you. That's just what I was looking for...a way to keep the aspect ratio without sampling.

Comment

Related Topics

Collapse

• albatrosss
        Using Crop Tool
        by albatrosss
        I'm sure that I hit a wrong key but I can't get rid of the "width" and "height" when cropping. Prior to this, as you know, I was able to crop any way I wanted. How do I get rid of the width and height boxes.

Hope that this is clear.

Thanks.
        12-15-2006, 01:23 PM
      • Repairman
        crop tool presets
        by Repairman
        How do I set my crop tool (if that's possible?) to automatically crop any size image to 300dpi? Regardless of the dimension of the image that is. Thanks!
        09-13-2011, 04:24 PM
      • T Paul
        Cropping Without the Crop Tool
        by T Paul
        There are a lot of different ways you can crop an image in PhotoShop. Here is one way without even using the crop tool.

1. Open your image
        2. Select the rectangular marquee tool and make your selection.
        3. Go under the Image menu and select Crop and you’re done.
        02-11-2004, 02:55 PM
      • memphishooter
        what's the diff?
        by memphishooter
        In the crop tool, what's the difference between original ratio and ratio?
        12-20-2017, 07:58 PM
      • AKMac
        Rule of thirds grid.
        by AKMac
        Can someone tell me how to stop the rule of thirds grid coming up as default in the CS5 crop window. I find it an annoying visual distraction.
        10-17-2011, 05:51 AM
      Working...
      X