Clear All

• Can't merge layers when creating mask

I'm not sure if I found a problem, or did one of the steps wrong. I'm
    doing the exercise on page 113, setting up the layers to do saturation
    masking. The problem I have is that on step 15, I'm supposed to merge
    the Saturated Colors and Commit Mode 1 layers together. The problem is
    that when I select the Saturated Colors layer, which is just a copy of
    the background, there's no menu item to merge down, as there is for other
    layers. Not sure how to proceed, since I can't find a way to merge those two layers together. Everything in the layers palette looks OK before that step.

This is a Known Issue - there's something on it in the errata section of Richard's website, as iI recall. My own solution: - from my notes I think I had to simplify the 50 per cent grey fill layer (commit mode 1) first to get it to merge. Or when creating the grey filled layer (step 5 p110) rather using a fill layer, just use new layer, then fill with 50 per cent grey - then it doesn't need to be simplified first

Comment

Related Topics

Collapse

• DannyRaphael
      Before / after merged layers don't look the same
      by DannyRaphael
      Running Win/PS 5.5...

Final layer stack:
      1. Merged layer, 100% opacity, blend=normal
      2. Hue/saturation adjustment layer, 100% opacity, blend=normal
      3. Background (original image, completely filled w/pixels. No transparancy anywhere within the BG layer.)
      05-07-2002, 08:17 PM
    • Biwa
      Ok something that I can't seem to get about layers
      by Biwa
      I see people with these psd files with many layers . I consider myself still
      a noob with CS3 even though I have used it for about 8 months there is so much more to learn.
      Heres whats stumping me .

Is there a good "best practices with layers" guide somewhere?...
      03-12-2009, 03:18 PM
    • bobdut
      Never quite understood layers and how to use them
      by bobdut
      I've used Photoshop for years -now version CS2 and lately Photoshop Elements v.6_Somehow I've never really grasped the basics of Layers. I open the Layers Panel, put in one of the photos I want to work with as a background and then try and add another, then the 1st one disappears. I know it's something...
      03-03-2008, 06:51 AM
    • gpeisach
      create and use of multiple layers in photoshop
      by gpeisach
      HI there

I've been browsing the challenges section and noticed that many of you use "multiple layer technique".
      I'm a newcomer to the Photoshop world - could someone please explain what this technique is and how to use it? (or point me to a tutorial on this)/
      06-03-2004, 10:21 AM
    • jvr
      Merging Layers with different Blend Modes
      by jvr
      Hi all,

I've been asked to give a retouched image with transparent background in a single layer. Just one layer with no effects, with no adjustments.

My problem is that in the retouch, I used Normal layers, multiply layers and lighten layers. When I Merge all the layers,...
      03-15-2009, 02:57 PM
    Working...
    X