Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

problem with refine Edge and Topaz remask 3

Collapse
widgetinstance 175 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• problem with refine Edge and Topaz remask 3

I can´t get a good result when I´m using refine mask in photoshop, I am not even close to the result they get on some tutorials I´ve seen. then I tried Topas remark 3 and I´m not even close there either. can someone please help me understand what I´m doing wrong, I try to do just like they do in the tutorials.I think it´s a pretty easy picture I´m trying on. if someone have a tip how to do I would love to hear, cause I really want to get this to work.

thanks

here is the picture by the way:
    http://www.mimbild.se/transport/peter.jpg

Re: problem with refine Edge and Topas remask 3

I used Topaz Remask on your image and it was pretty simple.... just a little extra work while in Remask and this was the result. You could also go into channels with an image like this and make a channel mask and get a good result..... do some more reading and practice.
    Attached Files

Comment

thanks !
      I guess I´m missing something important. is there any kind of quality of the mask between the 30-days try version and the one you buy? I think I do everything right, but don´t get a good result.

Comment

What background are you trying to place it on? That can have a large effect on how well made the mask has to be made, and how much you have to compensate for "bleed" from the original background.

Here's my attempt. For the hair I just made a rough mask using Quick Selection Tool, then I went to "Mask Edge" in the Mask Panel (it's just like Refine Edge), and adjusted the radius up a bit.

I had to manually to a few brush strokes above the right ear (his left). There was a colored edge outside of the actual edge, probably from some other retouching.

For the body I simply used Pen Tool (the same settings used for the hair will not work well on the body).
        Attached Files

Comment

Thanks for your help. I´m trying and trying but don´t get satisfied. Here is my Workflow:
          Picture 1 shows the tripod mask, picture 2 the mask after I´ve produced the tripod. pic 3 shows my result against a dark background and picture 4 against white background. I think the white background works pretty well, the result is okay. but against dark background it´s not good, I think there must be a way to get a better result against dark background. anyone have any tips??

thanks.

http://www.mimbild.se/transport/pe/pic1.jpg
          http://www.mimbild.se/transport/pe/pic2.jpg
          http://www.mimbild.se/transport/pe/pic3.jpg
          http://www.mimbild.se/transport/pe/pic4.jpg

Comment

Make them mask manually for everything but the hair. There's some stuff going on around some of the edges that the automatic tools won't handle well.

To remove the white fringe around the hair (or elsewhere) for use on a black background, when refining the mask in Photoshop you can turn on "Decontaminate" and fiddle around with the settings a bit. Shrinking the mask a bit can also help. If this is not sufficient, you can also clip a layer to it, and darken/color the edges manually.

Comment

Originally posted by hpja View Post
              I think the white background works pretty well, the result is okay. but against dark background it´s not good, I think there must be a way to get a better result against dark background. anyone have any tips??
              I'm just learning how to use remask and am finding these tutorials helpful. On that page there is also a link to some text tutorials.

Pat

Comment

Re: problem with refine Edge and Topaz remask 3

Here's my result of about 5 minutes working with the Blue channel.

Duplicate the blue channel

Apply curves to increase contrast

Apply image command in overlay mode

invert the channel

lasso all background areas, staying away from transitions, and fill with black

Clean edges of mask with dodge & burn tool

path ears and neck, make selection, slight blur (.3 px) and fill with white on mask.
                Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by hpja View Post
                  thanks !
                  I guess I´m missing something important. is there any kind of quality of the mask between the 30-days try version and the one you buy? I think I do everything right, but don´t get a good result.
                  The Topaz trial version comes with a key number, you need to register the trial version in order to work with it like the full version...

Comment

Re: problem with refine Edge and Topaz remask 3

Looking at HPJ's four images, the problem I see (particularly on the dark background) is that the man looks to be pasted on the background rather than having been photographed in front of the background. I'm no expert, but I'm wondering if a hint of feather might help the man blend into the background more smoothly.

Ciao,

Doug

Comment

Working...
                    X