Updates

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Updates

New board, new site design, new features popping up as fast as I can edit them...

Here's a way to track all the new-ness:

Subscribe to this thread (click on "Subscribe to this thread" located under Thread Tools) and you'll get an e-mail whenever I add an update (I promise I won't go nuts). It will basically mirror the What's New stuff I put on the home page with a few extras to make it all worthwhile.

Here's our first list:

We're on our new webserver now, with new Forum software, and a prototype of the Archives, plus a new Challenge and a new Tutorial

Thanks to our new Moderators Ed and DJ. You wouldn't believe all the work they're putting in to make the transition from the old board to this one as smooth as possible
    Last edited by Doug Nelson; 07-31-2005, 10:22 AM.
    Learn by teaching
    Take responsibility for learning

A new Restoration Challenge, a new Manipulation Challenge, a new Tutorial, new Gallery exhibits, and lots of new Archive material

Plus, lots of new friends

It looks like we're averaging a new friend a day, and about 30 posts a day.

Donations have flattened out since the move, maybe people feel we're done growing (hint: we're not )
    Last edited by Doug Nelson; 08-18-2001, 03:59 PM.
    Learn by teaching

Comment

New Restoration Challenge, new Manipulation Challenge, and a new Review.

We're still only averaging a little better than one new member a day, but the posts have gone through the roof! Over 100 a day!

So keep up the great posts, and start recruiting new members!
      Learn by teaching

Comment

No two ways about it, this has been a hard week for everyone, everywhere. But, I'm very proud of the responses to our latest Gallery Challenge during this very trying week. And the entries aren't showing any sign of stopping (and I hope they never do).

There's also been a lot of support here for users seeking comfort or even answers, which makes me even prouder. Yes, it's been a bad week. Maybe the worst week. But here, in our little world, I've seen a lot of good this past week.

To try to restore some sense of "things as usual" I've posted a new Restoration Challenge.
        Learn by teaching

Comment

We passed the 100 user mark, and have over 4000 posts now! Would I be stretching things to call this the "#1 online community for retouchers and restorers"?

We have two new Challenges this week. After a long delay there's finally a new Retouching Challenge. And we have a fun new Manipulation Challenge for Halloween.
          Learn by teaching

Comment

Its been pretty busy here, and I couldn't be prouder of everyone!

We've had a LOT of Challenge entries, with newfound interest in some of the older ones, so make sure you've checked them out recently and give your feedback.

For understandable reasons our donations program is pretty much at a standstill. But the Holidays are soon upon us, so if you're planning on doing any of your Xmas shopping at Amazon anyway perhaps you could visit via one of our links (like this one) so we can apply a tiny percentage of your purchase towards improving the site. Anything you buy during a visit via any of our links will help us out (but if you revisit without a link they won't remember us).

This week we have a new Tutorial, a new Book Review, and another fun Halloween Challenge.

Plus lots of new friends, and tons of new stuff to read in the Forums.
            Learn by teaching

Comment

A triple-threat this week!

A new Restoration Challenge, an interesting new Retouching Challenge with a twist, and a seasonal Manipulation Challenge that I think will be a lot of fun to do and view.

I'd like to be able to post 3 new Challenges a week, every week, but I just don't have enough. Feel free to suggest Challenges and submit photos, however confident you are of their value. Suggest in the main Challenge Forum, or email me, or PM me. For photos, email them to me (TIF, RGB, under 5 meg, zipped if possible).

Speaking of emailing photos, I've not gotten any Archive submissions in quite a while. Dig through your old photo stack and start emailing them in. Great condition, horrible condition, we can use both.

But, we're still getting a lot of new members, and even more great posts. Keep them coming!
              Learn by teaching

Comment

Another triple-threat this week! How long I can keep this up, I have no idea

Two Restoration Challenges, yet another holiday-themed Manipulation Challenge, and three software reviews

We've had some excellent activity in the Forums recently. Keep it up, guys!

Two generous donations paid for some new website database software, but its not working and the author isn't helping much. So I'll probably be getting a refund on that and waiting for some additional donations to do it the right way (which I probably should have done to begin with).

Why do I mention donations twice (ok, three times) in the same update? Because, with the right software, our entire site could be as interactive as our forums (read: no more emailing stuff to me, then waiting for me to get around to posting it, thus freeing me up to invent even more features). This is very exciting to me, but perhaps a tad too ambitious (read: several hundred dollars).

Oh well, I guess I've got Santa on the brain...which goes well with our new Manipulation Challenge
                Learn by teaching

Comment

It's been a busy week, but productive! Lots of submissions, both Challenge-wise and other-wise.

So lots of new stuff.

Our Links database is now online! I'd talk all about it here, but I already posted the details here. But I must add it was solely due to donations that it was possible. Thanks!

Plus a new Tutorial, two new Reviews, and yet another Manipulation Challenge that I'm particularly enthused about.
                  Learn by teaching

Comment

It's been an interesting week. Lots of new members, engaging discussions, and some fine Challenge entries.

There's a new Restoration Challenge, a silly new Gallery Challenge, and a new Tutorial.

Oh yes...
                    I combined the non-digital and digital Restoration Forums into one all-encompassing forum and started a new forum I think is very necessary and valuable. So take note of our newest forum, Conservation and Repair.
                    Learn by teaching

Comment

It seems like these updates are getting closer together, but that's just a sign that stuff is actually happening

I'm sure you've all seen our new Community Bulletin in your email. It's so new I haven't totally made up my mind about the details (ie: how often, how detailed, etc.). Right now I'm planning on monthly, with this update you're reading now serving as a more frequent news source. There's a thread for feedback on the new Bulletin here.

I was very disappointed in the links database software I just told you about recently, so I returned it and purchased a much better one. Details are here, but the main thing to remember is we need you to add links.

On to the regular stuff...

There's a new Restoration Challenge, and finally a new Retouching Challenge. Plus I wrote a new Review of an interesting new filter you probably haven't heard of. Plus there's been a lot of great activity in the forums this past.

Whew!
                      More very soon.
                      Learn by teaching

Comment

It's been a very hectic week. I can't remember a week with more Challenge submissions. Which is very fine by me

To help keep the momentum, there's a new Restoration Challenge this week. Also an already much-discussed Tutorial. And, finally, a new Review.

I know we're in a recession, and Xmas is right around the corner, so I won't harp about donations, but I will remind all Amazon shoppers that they can help us grow by using any of our Amazon.com links (like this one) if you're going to shop there anyway. If you use any one of our links to access Amazon, we'll get a small commission (like 3-5%) on everything you buy in that one session. If you leave Amazon and come back, we won't get diddly. You have to use one of our links for us to get any credit.

Last thing:
                        There are so many new photos in the Archive. Be sure to check them out, and keep those submissions coming!
                        Learn by teaching

Comment

Lots of activity this week. We crossed the 200 member milestone!

There's lots of new stuff as well. A new Restoration Challenge, a new Manipulation Challenge that I think will be a lot of fun, and a pretty tough new Retouching Challenge (with extra brownie points going to those that can make out the superimposed printing, a little inside bonus just for those that read these updates).

Plus we have a new Tutorial, lots of new Archive images, and over 100 new links now in our new Links database (and I encourage everyone to add their own favorites).
                          Learn by teaching

Comment

I'll keep it short this week, since everyone is probably out shopping:

New Manipulation Challenge
                            New Gallery Challenge
                            New plugin Review

There, that didn't take all that long, did it

The last update of the year! And Happy Holidays to all!
                            Learn by teaching

Comment

To liven things up, I'm trying something a little different:
                              This week there's a new Retouching Challenge, a new Manipulation Challenge, and another new Manipulation Challenge. This last one is kind of a departure, so I'm interested in how it goes over.

Archive submissions have dropped to almost zero, although we did get a couple of interesting backgrounds. My next project (I think) for donations will be a manager for the Archives that will allow direct uploading, comments, keyword searches, and sorting by categories (so we can separate old from new, people from backgrounds, color from b/w, etc.). But this is a big task, and definitely not cheap, so it might go on the back burner (again) if we can't afford it, or if something more pressing comes along.

Technical problems at the webserver have our Links database temporarily down. It should be back up later today or tomorrow, and we still need your links. Any links at all you think would be useful or interesting to our community. Watch for it to come back online, then start pasting your links!

We're also running low on Challenge images, in all categories. So put on your thinking cap, rummage through your albums and shoeboxes, and email them in.
                              Last edited by Doug Nelson; 01-09-2002, 07:29 AM.
                              Learn by teaching

Comment